Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 Newfoundland 10 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
491 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  6:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys,

Is it stretching at a VG 8? Tough date

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41271 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's a stretch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5368 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G4/G6
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not as brutal a date as 1870 or 1885, but definitely a tough date in mid and higher grades.

I'm at G-4. On your coin, the only plainly visible laurel leaves are the rabbit ears. For G-6, you would need just a bit more complete silhouettes of the two clusters of laurel leaves on the head between the ear and top of the head and a bit more detail in the hair between the top of the ear and the forehead. It's a solid, original, problem-free G, though.
Valued Member
Canada
491 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good guys! A lot of wear on the queen thats for sure. Was at some point improperly cleaned to create all the wear around the queen very evenly. Although Beads are flat, reverse looks vg8-10.
Valued Member
Canada
366 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With only 20,000 minted this is indeed a tough date to find in Fine+ condition.

Nice coin, looks great with the toning.

I should post mine as well to see what you all think. Hopefully I will remember tonight when I am home.

Cheers
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10640 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, hard date to find, G-04
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2211 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not if you send it to the US for grading.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the early NFLD are tough to find in decent grade , of which this is not . Good , DETAILS .
THE bigger issue is finding buyers for Newfy coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G6
Quote:
Tough date

Quote:
hard date to find,

There are usually more than a dozen of these languishing unsold on ebay.
Pacificoin is right, they are hard to sell not find.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
491 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not easy finding the good sources for these low mintage coins but they are sure fun to collect!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the coins on eBay are badly overpriced, massively overgraded, have surface damage, or have been cleaned. International sales have the customs and tax barriers, as well as exorbitant shipping charges. Original, problem-free coins without those issues aren't that common. For some dates and varieties, the eBay supply is almost non-existent.

That said, I don't do the eBay thing. Over the years, I've built a decent inventory from shows, estate sales, and direct purchases. The supply from in hand purchases seems better than eBay, and the quality and prices are definitely better.

Right now, the supply is adequate and the market is soft, but the number of Maritime Provincial coin collectors in the States is growing steadily. I think demand is slowly catching up to supply, and will do so in the next five or six years. The joker in the deck is whether U.S. TPGs succeed in re-defining Canadian grading standards, which could kill the market for correctly graded coins. JMHO.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem is that there are more Newfoundland and Maritimes Coins than there are collectors .
If you have a hundred of something and only fifty people want it ........common .
If you have five million of something and eight million customers .....scarce.
Simple economics .
Also where do you classify Newfy , Maritimes coins ?
They are strictly speaking British Colonial issues and not Canadian Coins .
Granted high grade problem free Newfoundland coins are Virtually unobtainable.
Problem is very ,very ,very few even care!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17831 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enough detail to make G-6.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05