Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

At What Point Do You Consider A Collection Done?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If my wife sells my collection for what I told her I paid for it, some one will be very happy. If she finds out how much I actually paid for it she might kill me, so either way I'm dead ;) and not my worries ;)

Would love to see that on someone's headstone! SO funny.

I agree!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12427 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure the majority of us would not recover the money we spent on our coin collection . But that's not the point ( to make money ) for me and many others to just take pride in our accomplishment and to have fun collecting .
As far as I'm concerned the 16-D in my Mercury dime collection in mid to upper circulated condition is finished without it , and I'm ok with that . Same for my Walking Half set, all nice circs but no 21 or 21D . And most of all my Lincoln wheat set 1909-1940 pds In VF-20-AU-58 complete except for the S-VDB . And I'm ok with that too .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3409 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure any collection is ever completed.

As a collector, we will always peruse coins in the series we are currently working on and those that have been completed. The "search"....never ends.
Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a collector I pursue a series until I think I am done and I consider it done.
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a thought, instead of building up a set from the common dates, how about starting a set off with the key dates and then building backwards, that way the biggest hurdle is jumped first
I always thought that would feel anti-climactic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always thought that would feel anti-climactic

Me too, I hate paying the full price, but its cool when all you have is just one hole and saving up for it :)
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
its cool when all you have is just one hole and saving up for it
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2922 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a thought, instead of building up a set from the common dates, how about starting a set off with the key dates and then building backwards, that way the biggest hurdle is jumped first
I've seen a lot of people here recommend this, though usually for slightly different reasons - basically, key dates tend to get more expensive faster than more common dates, so (supposedly) if you don't buy the keys immediately, it would be much harder for you to afford them later.

Of course this applies much more to the big-name US coin series, where the key dates are expensive but otherwise easily available; if you're collecting something else, you might end up having to wait months or years until you find the rarer dates/types anywhere anyway, so you might as well stock up on some commons while waiting for the key.

I also would say that "start with the keys" is very bad advice for YNs (and/or low-budget collectors in general), who often wouldn't be able to afford the keys at all until/unless they start earning more money; some of them might even end up sticking with a key-less set, because those few pesky remaining holes just don't feel worthy of spending that much money on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
578 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaintRidley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is this done?
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05