Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Identify An Unknown Ancient (?) Coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  04:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. Please help identify
an unknown ancient (?) coin.
On the front side,readable letters ONK (or ONH?), below it looks like L A
The reverse side is
erased. Size is about
16 mm. What can it
be, at least approximately?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
29489 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos did not show.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some problems, I don't know why.. I'll try again
Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand. Photos are, but
not displayed, even when
resized. But, I can see
them in my all uploaded photos folder!:)
Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this does not work out, it
remains only to give a link
to the auction page with
this coin. I would be grateful
for any hint! https://newauction.com.ua/offer/dre...7855421.html
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13132 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nm2017, sorry that you are having trouble with the uploading process. Here is a link to the tutorial:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp

I look forward to seeing what you have there.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2769 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On the front side,readable letters ONK (or ONH?), below it looks like L A
I think the picture is upside down, and the letters are VT and MNO. (Not sure if that's an O or D before the MNO.)

...Admittedly, I'm only thinking that because the letter that I identified as "M" doesn't make much sense otherwise. It is possible that you are correct.
(Actually, now that I think of it, the T in VT does seem to have both upper sides, so your version fails on that as well.)

If my version is correct, the next line might be IVA or LVA (or possibly IYA or LYA; again, with at least one other letter before that).
If your version is correct, that line (the first line in this case) reads VAI or VAT (plus another letter).

Assuming my version, the legend is VT/[O]MNO/[D]IVA, where both [O] and [D] could actually be the other, the I might actually be L, and the V might actually be Y.
(There are probably more letters on the left of the two bottom lines as well.)

A cursory search on Numista did not find a match, but I would not be surprised if one exists.

If I had to guess: probably a local issue from somewhere in 17th or 18th century Europe (or possibly earlier).
I've seen vaguely similar coins from Dutch and Italian states, but I wouldn't immediately rule out any other part of Europe.

Incidentally, I like the seller's honest "kh/z" (a rather vulgar Russian abbreviation for "no idea").
Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, photos seems to fit the
required parameters ...
Anyway, this happens for
the first time in 2 years, so
I think it willn't happen
again! I thank everyone
who wasn't too lazy to follow the link and try to help!
Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
january1may, thank you very much for your version, I didn't think about it! Perhaps you're right. I'll search in old Europe. It certainly
should be Europe, but the coin seems to me much more ancient than 17th or 18th century... Due to the shape
and thickness. (Although it
is likely that it is damaged)

Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
january1may, Here, for some reason,
can't write in Russian. It's strange. As for the seller, he simply
didn't want to figureout
what it was, he also had old
coins, not so difficult to
identificate with the same description kh/z=)))
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2769 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this was supposed to be text in Russian, it failed. This forum, alas, does not (yet) allow Cyrillic letters in posts (it didn't even allow Greek letters until recently).

...For the record, I did figure out how to convert it, but it took me a while.

Removed unknown numbers
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2769 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Removed unknown numbers
The unknown numbers were just HTML Unicode without the & in front of the #. As I said, I did manage to convert them to proper Russian, though it took some searching.

Quote:
but the coin seems to me much more ancient than 17th or 18th century... Due to the shape and thickness
What's the weight? It might help with identification.

That said, I don't think the shape is particularly unusual for 17th century lower denominations (or even 18th century in some places).
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2769 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And for the benefit of any random people who might somehow manage to stumble upon this thread by sheer luck, here are the photos (I decided to turn them upside down, just in case)...

...and while looking at them (and after some more Numista searching), I think I've figured out the true legend: VT/COMMO/DIVS, corresponding to a small denomination from 17th (or late 16th) century Sicily (something like this type, but possibly smaller).
Ukraine
39 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newember 2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is such coin! You
were right about the
inverted inscription and
guess about Italian states. I don't
know the weight, the coin
hasn't arrived yet =) Then
I'll weigh it and look live.
But this is exactly such coin,
face value 1 grano. Myself I
would probably be searchin it for a very long time... Ogromnoe SPASIBO!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13132 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for uploading the pics @j1m--looks like you figured out this one. Well done.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20082 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spence, photos seems to fit the
required parameters ...

You have a bad habit of hitting enter after every 30 characters or so. Image code MUST be all on the same line, it cannot have any line breaks.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05