Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Type Of Error Is This - 50 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  8:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Blue Owl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 2014 50 cent with 2 mint errors, I need some help with the terminology for what type of errors I have. Below are some pics #128578; Please don't tell me it's PMD - it's my first error and I'm pretty excited!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1455 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is post-mint damage.
This same type of thing has appeared on these forums a few times now and that was the conclusion.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blue Owl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But it has a part reeded edge... Plus the coin itself looks to be in good condition considering the errors (I'm holding out hope here).
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5129 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage caused by being stuck in a 50c vending machine is the explanation for previous examples just like this.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45984 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed!

to the CCF!
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blue Owl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! I'm gutted that my first error is PMD, I'm not sure I believe it though... How can a vending machine make that much damage? I'm grasping at straws, I know.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5129 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For this to be a genuine error coin, what has to be considered is just how a feature such as this could possibly occur while the coin was being minted.

The toothed area is straight - Are any Aussie coins minted with a straight toothed rim - No, so where in the minting process could this have occurred?

Do any Aussie 50c coins (other than 1966) have a toothed rim - No, so where in the minting process could this have occurred?

There's just no explanation how a coin would/could leave the Mint in this condition.

So whichever way you look at it, this coin has to be PMD.

I'm sure you will eventually find some errors, so hang around and keep looking.

A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blue Owl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok that explains things, thanks! I did take the time to have a look at some of the other posts on errors so I can get a better idea.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add abccoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yep since this before - gets damaged in vending machines which creates this "fake reeding"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05