Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Peace Dollar Rotated Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbohanon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1923 Peace dollar with a significantly (~90 degrees) rotated reverse. Is this worth a significant premium? I can't seem to find much online about it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17363 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We would be happy to give you an accurate opinion if we could see some photos. The most common reason for a rotation on a dollar coin is because it is a Magician Coin.

Please do a search on them here as there are tons of them reported.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbohanon

If the deviation from normal it is less than 30, the likelihood that the coin has any additional premium Is doubtful.

I also find it difficult to portray both the obverse and reverse sides simultaneously in the same photo to provide usable relativity for the authentication. Any tips on how to do this photographic wizardry would be nice to hear about.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbohanon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smoke and mirrors. I'll see if I can find a lip along the edge that opens up.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5085 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check the weight. A Peace dollar in this condition should weight close to 26.7 grams. If it had been machined to produce a Magician's coin it would almost certainly weigh less. It also would not "ring" when dropped or tapped. Should be easy to tell.
A large rotation like this if genuine should be worth good money, many times the value of an ordinary circulated 1923 Peace dollar.
Edited by Jaobler
10/06/2019 6:02 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbohanon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scale I have says 26 to 27 grams and it makes the silver "clink" sound when I drop it. I can't see anything on the rims indicating it opens up.

Is this worth sending to a grading company for authentication?
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do the ring test and see if she rings correct.
Balance it on the tip of your finger. Then gently tap it with another silver dollar. It should have a nice long solid ring to it. You can compare it to a clad coin if you'd like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5085 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this worth sending to a grading company for authentication?

I would. ANACS would be cheapest and you don't have to pay for a membership. If it were mine (and I had confirmed weight and ring test) I'd likely spring for PCGS certification even though it would cost more.

Good luck, and please report back if you do submit!
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! Hope you have a nice time here!

Nice coin! I always like a 90 rotation on a coin and it's even better on a Silver Dollar.

Is this your first error? Be careful, they can be addictive!
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18551 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It also would not "ring" when dropped or tapped

Don't know why so many think dropping or banging a coin is a smart way to test. Why not say drop from the top of a 5 story building? Why not say hit with a hammer? Any dings made by this method are just not smart. Do not drop coins. And your coin is really a great novelty. Some collectors love those rotated reverses. Always makes me wonder if the reverse is OK but the Obverse is rotated.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24550 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The drop test is just another way to damage your coin. You don't want to lower the value of this already valuable coin.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Pillar of the Community
United States
5085 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Dropping" the coin in this context means dropping it maybe one inch onto a hard surface like a tile counter and listening to the sound produced. I'm quite confident I can perform this test without producing any damage.
Just my opinion of course!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5085 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI I see a 1923 Peace dollar with rotated die sold on Heritage in 2017 for $352.50. That coin was graded MS62 but otherwise seemed similar to yours. Your circulated coin (if genuine) should sell for less but is definitely worth a large premium over a normal 1923. Certification would be needed in order to get the best price.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05