Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Me Spend Some Money

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  9:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are the particulars. In 2020, I'll have a little spending cash. Lets say its $600.

For me I would rather get a few things than one, I would rather an older coin than newer. I'm not against a slabbed coin but raw is fine and if the coin has details I don't really care as long as it has eye appeal. I don't want to use this money for any set completion. Just a 1/10 gold coin and either lots of things or a few things.

So exclude the 1/10 ounce gold eagle, but everything else is open, with about $435 what you spend your money on?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5940 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a set of VF Seated coins minus the dollar?
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe a set of VF Seated coins minus the dollar?

Honestly never thought about that. Good idea! I can get an AU dime and VF quarter and half dollar.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16114 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need to know a little more about
what are your main areas of interest in coin collecting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We need to know a little more about
what are your main areas of interest in coin collecting

Ok, let's see. I have no interest in error coins. I would rather have a more asthetic coin than an MS coin. I have no issues with details coins. I've completed the small cents sets, a 20th century type set and have 75% completed Peace dollars. I don't collect currency. I'm going to start the Mercury dimes. I have a few ASE, Buffalo nickels and Liberty nickels but I don't collect any of those. Only modern coins I like are sacaweja and the new innovation dollars. I like older coins and my favorites are Morgan's, Peace and Mercury dimes. I always wanted a type 1 quarter also, but don't have any.

Hope that's enough.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/10/2019 10:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at classic commemorative half dollars. You can pick up several of the more common issues that would be very attractive for the money you have left. Something a little different.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16114 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suggestion?
Collect any pre '64 Half Dollar that you may like for the price. As far as condition goes, go for MS60 or better. Nice white mint luster helps.

That opens up commemoratives as well as the definitive designs.
Over a long time as your collection develops, you may find a speciality within this group. In the meantime, will have acquired some very nice coins way which you could buy swap or trade for those in which your more specialized area may have developed.

If you want to spend $600 on a single coin, go for gold.
Something in MS60 or better, with mint luster. Gold is soft. You may prefer slabbed in this case, mainly for authenticity and protection.

I went the other way.
Now, I will cherry pick any acquisition, across the whole of numismatics. Value for money vs condition always rule with this type of strategy.
Bargains and 'steals' are much easier to find, but you must have a wide knowledge base.
Edited by sel_69l
10/11/2019 02:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10418 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  02:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
with about $435 what you spend your money on?

That's the best way to state the question for me. Considering my collection, I would spend that on high grade, slabbed (maybe CAC) Jefferson nickel proofs from 1938-1940. That's $145 a piece, so it's not unrealistic.

I don't think that's the answer you were looking for, though.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30459 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you interested in U.S. colonial?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18745 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's all really simple. Just send me your money and no more problems.
Actually I think the Mercury dimes are the best way to go. You can complete a set very reasonably as long as you don't try for really high graded ones and keep away from the 42over dates. And naturally that famous 16D is rather on the expensive side too.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the Jefferson nickel isn't for me :)

I never thought of colonials..

I was at the LCS and they had a Half Cent. I thought that was cool. Maybe get a Half Cent, 1917 type I quarter in AU/MS and get a few common peace and Morgan dollars. If I have enough maybe get a sitting dime in AU...
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl,

I thought about the MHD also. I found a 16 D locally for under $400 in AG3/G4. But I'm going to do that ser anyway. This would be an extra :) and no I'm not sending it to you :) actually don't you have like 10 sets of MHD, you should be nice and send one of your sets to me ;)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12053 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
for me. Considering my collection, I would spend that on high grade, slabbed (maybe CAC) Jefferson nickel proofs from 1938-1940. That's $145 a piece,

Do you have any in mind ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12053 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about AU Flying Eagle cents ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about AU Flying Eagle cents ?

That was my first thought, its a consideration.
Valued Member
Canada
410 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a few nice examples of denominations you don't see anymore like a half, two and Three Cent coin.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05