Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Test Your Grading Skills Against CCCS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  4:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HexagonalCrank to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I've mentioned in the forums before, I had a collection I inherited graded and slabbed by the CCCS the past year and rather enjoy watching forum member test their grading skills so I thought I'd mix the two and show off some of the collection. I'll pick 10 coins and every other day post one of them for the forum to evaluate. If there are any requests, feel free to ask and I'll check to see if I have one available.

Coin #1 - Canada 1875H 5 cents

If the photos aren't good enough to evaluate the coin, shout at me and I'll try again. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of options to take photos with.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42113 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These pics really don't show enough surface detail to evaluate fully. Photographing coins in plastic holders is tough.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the photos, but I think that I see some wear. The Obv is more important for a grade than the Rev.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1521 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
was broached.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
549 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to grade. What looks like wear could be scuffs on the holder. I'm going for it. AU58
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
956 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Yowza! What a beautiful and rare bird!

The photos are difficult to use for grading, because of the glare from flashback. I enhanced your photos for grading help by reducing light, enhancing contrast and sharpness, and bringing up the color.

It appears that you have an 1875-H small date, with the repunched "5" in the date.

Your coin looks to have an average strike. There is wear on the hair on the forehead, top of the head, top knot, and first braid. The eyebrow is nearly gone, partly a function of strike. The upper laurel leaves on the third and fourth clusters show wear, but are complete. I don't see any contact marks that would detail the coin. Significant luster appears to be present, though the photos could be deceptive here because of the glare.

Overall, your coin looks to be in the EF-45 to AU-50 range, what is increasingly being called an "AU slider" on bourse floors. Again, beautiful coin, and an easy sale anywhere.

That said, CCCS grading can be erratic, especially recently. I could see CCCS calling this one anywhere from EF-45 to AU-55. The range isn't that high, IMHO.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10651 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsguy,
Quote:
was broached

I was thinking the same thing.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"broached" .... I don't understand the term. You mean that someone crossed over an understood line?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
956 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
was broached.

After seeing this comment, I looked at the enhanced photos again. I missed this in the original pics, but you are correct. That certainly details the coin. I have to revise my call to EF-45 details to AU-50 details.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1365 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if it was cleaned but I'll say au50-au58
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1521 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
look at the rims. Damaged by claws of a broach.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
698 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
look at the rims. Damaged by claws of a broach.

If you are referring to the three half-circles at the edge of the coin, they are on the holder not the coin...I had a look at my CCCS-graded coins and they are on all of them
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Duhhhhhh! Now I see the definition of the word "broached".
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42113 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All righty then!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05