Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Happens When You Pay With Half Dollars?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
895 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems like you sparked some interest. Good job!

I might just have to do the same.
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried this with Canadian half dollars in Canada. I've had reactions from people not batting an eye, to people never seeing them before and thinking they were cool, to people flat out refusing to accept them. Similar to Canadian nickel dollars.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18665 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By me I keep asking at banks for any large old dollar coins and any half dollars. All they ever say is none of those but if you want any of those baby sized dollar coins, we have many, many of those. No one wants them.
just carl
Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a (couple) heads up for Canadian readers...
1) Amazingly enough banks merchants etc are not obliged to accept any legal tender....from the Bank of Canada

2) my local BNS sold me some nickel dollars and half dollars (all on hand or none) ...but told me they would not buy or accept them back.
Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BINGO! I think we hit the Food & Wine Festival about 7 years in a row!
Funny! We have been to seven in a row as well! We have gone to F&W every year starting in 2006 with just one exception (2012 was a tight year). For the years when our "longer" WDW trip is in the spring we will do a long weekend with MNSSHP on Friday night and F&W on Saturday.

Quote:
Not as much wine as food...
The wife enjoys both, but being sober (23Y 9M 15D) means it is all about the food for me.

With apologies, back the the topic!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried spending a brass prez dollar at a Michael's Arts & Crafts store. The young woman thought it was some sort of promotional token.
Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I tried spending a brass prez dollar at a Michael's Arts & Crafts store. The young woman thought it was some sort of promotional token.
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those Presidential dollars are ugly. I wouldn't take them either
Edited by hfjacinto
10/21/2019 7:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm handing out Ike dollars for Halloween this year. All in MS62 or 63 grade. I only get around 20 to 30 kids...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15945 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1) Amazingly enough banks merchants etc are not obliged to accept any legal tender....from the Bank of Canada

Same thing in the US, no one is OBLIGATED to accept legal tender. So says the Treasury Dept.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
10/22/2019 12:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm handing out Ike dollars for Halloween this year. All in MS62 or 63 grade. I only get around 20 to 30 kids...
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Can I pass by a few times? I'll bring different kids each time :)
Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can I pass by a few times? I'll bring different kids each time :)
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MarkCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's a neat idea. Unless the kids think it's a foil covered chocolate coin.
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Same thing in the US, no one is OBLIGATED to accept legal tender. So says the Treasury Dept.

@Conder101

It's a bit different here in Massachusetts. We have an old anti-discrimination law that requires merchants accept legal tender!

Quote:
Section 10A. No retail establishment offering goods and services for sale shall discriminate against a cash buyer by requiring the use of credit by a buyer in order to purchase such goods and services. All such retail establishments must accept legal tender when offered as payment by the buyer.

Source: https://malegislature.gov/laws/gene...d/section10a
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05