Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1847 Penny, Bluish Tone

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42116 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this has been cleaned and is now re-toning in an unnatural color.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is then someone cleaned it well over100yrs ago. I found it in the ground and cleaned with water and put it in a sleeve about 2yrs ago. It is just as I found it minus the dirt of course. Just thought it was an odd color for a copper penny. I have a few more of a similar era and type that are a pretty brown
Pillar of the Community
United States
5105 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very well preserved for a ground find copper coin. I'd guess the color is the result of long exposure to the particular conditions of the soil. Grade is in the VG range so it must have circulated for some time before being lost.
Very cool find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
594 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always wonder when I see large cents that indicate they were cleaned if it was just someone a hundred years ago that just wanted a shiny penny.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7773 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG details.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's odd for sure. No way to tell how long it had been in the ground when I found it. I take a spray bottle of water with me when I dig just to knock the alabama red clay dirt off. When I wiped it away and saw blue I was puzzled for a bit and kinda still am hahahaha. One would think these coins would be worth a kid as ransom with the age knocking close to 200yrs old
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find for sure. Put a modern zinc penny in the ground for 170 years. Know what you'll find?

Nothing
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05