Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 Victoria Dime Information?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  12:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Benvareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone give me some thoughts on this nice dime I found? It appears to have 2 distinctive die crack errors and possibly the wide 0? Thanks for any help you can give me and should I get it graded?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wear-wise, I think it's an XF-40, but heavily cleaned. I'm not up to snuff on the 1870 "0" wide/narrow, but someone may chime in. I wouldn't get it cert'd, unless by ICCS who normally won't mention the surface condition/luster. I think that there are some environmental problems on the Reverse.

As others have said, the "cracks" are really solder leftovers
Edited by okiecoiner
10/20/2019 6:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just my guess, but it may have had soldered clasps on it at one time. To wear the coin as a pin?
Kind of goes with the heavy polishing evident on the obverse . .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7659 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those aren't die cracks they're solder remnants.
Technically EF40, but it is a heavily damaged, harshly cleaned item.
Not suitable for grading, would likely come back to you ungraded.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benvareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info so far, very much enjoy reading replies and hope I get a lot more.&👍
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

I saw an immediate concern on the reverse. The vine is missing between the first and second leaves on the right. Combined with the pewter color, relatively grainy fields, and appearance of the denticles, I have concerns about authenticity. Let's see what the counterfeit coin experts say on this one.

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benvareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one is pretty interesting and has me thinking more haha
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10936 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
78463 Posts
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was that the coin was repaired (the die cracks not being die cracks) but solder marks make much more sense now that you mention it.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benvareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I can see where it looks like it could be solder but the one on the left is very close to where another known die crack could be located so I thought this one might be the breaking point of the die on this coin haha, at least thats what I hoped until I have been reading your replies boohoo
Valued Member
Canada
363 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I just shake my head and sigh. Have you been convinced it's solder remnants on that coin ?

Just as you shouldn't believe whatever is on a grading slab, don't always accept OPINIONS here as true, even if they are from experienced collectors.

Here's my non-soldered, worn out, wide date 1870 dime. Something looks very similar to the coin above. OH ! I see it now.

Edited by TerryT
10/22/2019 7:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TerryT

Looks like your coin also has solder marks. What a coincidence!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to eat my words and side with Terry on this. I had no idea, and had never seen discussed on any coin site, the MASSIVE D/C's that came about on one of the 1870 dies. The cracks/chips that ensued look almost like cuds they are so big and the initial photos showed the D/C's solder-colored against a nearly black field. Where did you find that thing, Terry and why didn't you ever show it on the old CCRS board?
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benvareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Omg! So that's incredible! What should I do with my coin in that case? Very exciting to me!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TerryT and @Benvareen, I see two differences between the coins.

First, the die cracks are different, though in the same general place. Second, TerryT's coin has the stem to the first leaf, but Benvareen's coin does not.

There are some concerns about authenticity. The missing stem is a known reverse marker for one of the counterfeits, but also occurs on genuine coins when the dies are overpolished. The obverse is grainy, and has been cleaned harshly. Sometimes that is used to cover evidence of a cast counterfeit, but mostly it is simply a coin that has been cleaned harshly. More concerning on the obverse are the broken loop of the "G" in GRATIA and the wrong serifs on the "E" in REGINA.

This coin lacks many of the markers of known counterfeits, but IMHO the presence of some doubts suggests a need to have it authenticated.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05