Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are The Most Popular Collections?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16470 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My style of collecting is NOT the most popular:
OFEC = One From Each Century, or One From Each Culture,
covering the last 26 centuries of numismatics from the first invention of coinage 26 centuries ago.

A lifetime study of numismatics generally, and an interest in World ancient histories of all cultures are essential.
Good numismatic and World history libraries are very useful tools to aid in the building of the collection, which illustrate the histories with the hardware.

And YES, a partial U.S. type set is forming within the collection.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your very comprehensive suggestions on coins. Much appreciated
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2019  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reading through the pages here, I was suprised no one listed Kennedy halves...may be in the future will be of interest!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was surprised that Franklins are popular. I wouldn't do either Franklins or JFK as neither coin does it for me. Other than the Lincoln cent, I'm just not into dead presidents. I'm really the like coins of the early 1900's.

IHC
Walking liberty
Bison nickel
Standing liberty
Mercury dimes
Peace dollars
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16470 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Judging from the number of posts here in the CCF, with respect to denomination and type,
I would have thought LMC's and LWC's are the most popular series to collect and study.

It is out of these two series that most of the future serious American numismatists will come, as they spread their interests into other series .
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2971 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Reading through the pages here, I was suprised no one listed Kennedy halves...may be in the future will be of interest!
...Unexpectedly enough, even my own big list did not list Kennedy halves!

(That might be because they aren't really an interesting set to collect, as most of the later dates are outright NCLT - and there aren't that many earlier dates that aren't - but I should still have mentioned them at least as "probably not in top 10".)

Quote:
Judging from the number of posts here in the CCF, with respect to denomination and type,
I would have thought LMC's and LWC's are the most popular series to collect and study.
That's because the kind of people who are trying to assemble the 50 State Quarter set (or even the 100 coin set, with mintmarks) aren't particularly likely to post about it on CCF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spoke to my LCS yesterday. His feelings are as follows:
1) State Quarters - probably 50% of America has a complete album or folder. But they aren't worth more than .25 each.
2) Whitman 1941-1974 folders - probably 50% of America has one also. He sells a lot of the wheats to fill this.
3) Whitman 1975-2013 folders- probably 50% of America has one also. He doesn't have much modern so this is an assumption.
4) ASE- as $ value these are the king/queen. So many people have them but few collect the whole series. He sells a lot of ASE
5) Maple leafs- yes the Canadian silver. Sells a lot also.
6) Lincoln cents- at this point we get to collectors, the people buying 1909 S-VDB and 1955 are not a typical pocket change person. And people collect these to complete the 1909-1940 Whitman folder. Most people get all except the 1909,1914 and 1931
7) Then it's get interesting, lots of people get walking liberties but he sells more as "junk" silver than flipped coins.
8-10) This changes over time currently Morgans, Standing Liberty and IHC are selling well, but a few years ago it was Bison Nickels , Mercury dimes and Peace dollars.

In terms of what he gets in the most are as follows:
Lincoln cents
Morgan's
Peace dollars
Mercury dimes
Silver quarters/dimes and 50 cent (Franklins, Walkers and JFK) but for full collections number 1 is LWC.
So that's what I got from the LCS.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the Commemorative classics 1892 to 1954 more or less popular recently? A pretty reasonably priced coin to assemble in decent grades in my opinion.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coins4u2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, my first reply since joining
I start one collection and get interested in a other series.
I have collected 7 sets of Walkers, for the grandkids etc...
I have 5 sets of ASE, easy to get, working on NGC ms63 star toned Morgans, a capital holder with 6 Morgans in holder, and proof sets from the 50s in original cardboard boxes, I think I need gold!
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are the Commemorative classics 1892 to 1954 more or less popular recently?

If by popular you mean more expensive, most of them have been falling prices for many years. As they get cheaper and cheaper they could certainly be getting more popular as many of them do have wonderful designs. Some like Oregon have always been popular while some other have always been unpopular.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see many commeratives being sold and from looking at a few (like the bison dollars commerativr) the prices have dropped a lot. You can get some close to purchase price and others below. Collect what you like but don't look to make a profit. Long term a collection has value.
Learn More...
United States
82574 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi, my first reply since joining
to the Community!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We do not sell much in the way of classic commems. I don't think we have sold any in over a year. We buy current commems for 10 percent back of spot and sell them for spot plus a buck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking to the LCS, ASE's maybe the collectible for 2020. He is selling Dansco ASE albums and older ASE's are selling briskly. He said with the end of the current reverse he believes they will be the 2020 top seller (in value is usually ASE's followed by 50 cent junk silver).
Pillar of the Community
United States
8257 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
since I started at about age 12 I was into filling the sets because I thought it was cool to see them all together. started with LWC then Mercurys, standing libertys, Washington quarters and jeffersons as these were all over the place in circulation in the 60's. I don't collect series now but individual coins that stand out to me. the older I got the more I was interested in some of the other series the ones I love now are.

1. 1/2 cents & large cents
2. 7070 type set individual coins
3. morgans, not a fan of Peace dollars (don't know why)

the set I wanted to complete was standing libertys but never got around to it

oh...and I took every LWC out of circulation that crossed my path and rolled them by year and mint. I don't know maybe I have 100 rolls or more. so if anyone is looking for them, I have them
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05