Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1843 O Seated Liberty Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  4:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MS69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm interested in comments & opinions on this Seated half dollar. It is not mine and I have no knowledge that it would be for sale. A local friend and his family recently moved their mother into a retirement center and found this coin, along with another seated half, a possible copper planchet the size of a dime, and several Silver Certificates, among other items. By my untrained eye, this coin looks to be in a grade of Fair to maybe a little bit better. It took a little bit to notice the scratches placed on the right side of the Obverse. they are light and not easy to see in hand but under magnification, they jump right out. Likely done a long time ago and look to have been done using a straight edge to keep the lines true. My first thought was that they mimicked the bars of a British flag but could just be something someone randomly did. Again, just looking for comments and opinions.

Loren

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-10. Parallel lines are from an old cleaning, but much of the peripheral toning remains intact.
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like some graffiti in the field to the right of Liberty. I would say a VG Details for this WB-1 die marriage, it has a rarity of R4 for this marriage as well.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a partial hole drilled on the left wingtip?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42694 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, VG details (graffiti).

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5859 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF Details Damaged
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MS69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at that spot on the Reverse between the right wing tip and the leaf and with my loup. I can tell it is a small hole, maybe about halfway through with the same dark color in the hole as the rest of the coin. It does not go all the way through and I do not see anything on the Obverse to indicate anything ever came through. What I don't get is the hole looks like it has a flat bottom, not something made with a drill bit.

Loren
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG8 obverse (four letters in LIBERTY), vg10 reverse. Would most likely grade the former if sent out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1334 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG details, collectable only as a type coin.
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add misfit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That hole might be from some sort of punch. If it is I would expect possibly a corresponding bulge on the obverse, maybe near Liberty's shoulder.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MS69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In discussing this coin with my friend, He is very interested in why it has the hole on the reverse side. Looks like it may have been made by a punch. Gary looked on eBay and found other 1843 O's that also had the same size hole defect on them at some location and he has now convinced himself that there were issues with the silver plates that the planchets were punched out of and either the producer or mint quality control either didn't care or didn't see and remove the affected unstruck planchets. I would think that if these holes existed before striking there would be some material that would have flowed into the hole to fill it although a defect would still be seen. Again, opinions?

Loren
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15991 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Gary looked on eBay and found other 1843 O's that also had the same size hole defect on them at some location and he has now convinced himself that there were issues with the silver plates that the planchets were punched out of and either the producer or mint quality control either didn't care or didn't see and remove the affected unstruck planchets. I would think that if these holes existed before striking there would be some material that would have flowed into the hole to fill it although a defect would still be seen. Again, opinions?

If there was a repeating defect in the strip the blanks were punched from, that defect would NOT show up in the same place on the struck coins. Think about it, say you had 100 blanks all with a defect at 12:00 on one side. Put them in a bowl, and then pour them out on a table. Are all of them still going to be showing the defect in the same location? No, some of the blanks will be upside down and you won't see the defect, and on the ones you do see they will be at all different clock positions. And THAT is how they would then go into the press and be struck, with the defect on either side and at any position.

And you are correct that is such a defect was in the planchet pre-strike it would be largely if not wholly wiped out by the striking.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
11/19/2019 1:24 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05