Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913-S Buffalo Type 2 Error - Doubled Profile

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 852Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  4:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morganator to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired this 13-S Type 2 Buffalo from a friend and tried to look it up, but have been unsuccessful in finding an "S" with errors like this one. Note the profile doubling and the possible word "Liberty" under the chin. There is also some wording going down the neck.
Can anyone give me some idea of value on this coin? It appears as EF or better (full horn).

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you provide photos of the reverse?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48971 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the doubling, but that's a decent clash.. The bit by eye level is the bison's rear leg.

Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here you go. My friend also pointed out that he saw something related to UNUM, there looks like some metal movement, but I really don't see much there. ?

Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What grade would this be in the opinion of the forum members (your opinion)?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50. Eye Appeal 6/10. Coolness factor 10/10!
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a better pic of that area.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7114 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's called a die clash
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have looked around for values and it looks like an AU vs. an AU die clash coin sell for similar prices. I would think that this coin WITH a die clash might be more valuable, but so far I have not been able to find much info. Are any coin dealers or people knowledgeable out there that might be able to give me some insight on the value of this coin, assuming it would be graded as AU?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1448 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die clashes are extremely common in the Buffalo series. There are several clash marks that are seen commonly:
The "comb" beneath the chin is actually EPU, and the heavy line through EPU is the bottom of the chin. This is the most common clash mark, and is found on many of the coins from virtually every date and mint.
A "spike" from the buffalo's head is the clash with the second feather. This, too, is very common.
Overpolished dies (to remove evidence of clash marks) is also common. That is why some dates have "two feather" or 3 1/2 or 3 leg varieties.

The profile doubling is just Machine Doubling. It isn't a double die. Machine Doubling is common in the series.

Several things about the Buffalo series explain the issues. The Denver and San Francisco mints only had one year of nickel production before the Buffalo series, the 1912 Liberty nickel, and that was a much simpler design. (They didn't have much more experience with one cent coins, either.) They were inexperienced with the minting of the subsidiary coins, including the striking pressure needed to bring up the design while minimizing die wear when striking on hard metal. Some of the branch mint dates are almost always poorly struck. The cluttered design contributed to striking difficulty, as well as creating the multiple clash marks when the dies clashed. Replacement of one die at a time generated badly mismatched die states on many coins. Frequent obverse design changes were needed to reduce loss of detail from circulation. The excessive wear on FIVE CENTS necessitated the immediate reverse redesign in mid-1913. They never solved the excessive wear on the date. Collectors miss the Buff, but the mints were glad to see the design go in 1938.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1448 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In terms of grade for your coin, it is important to separate strike weakness from wear.

Your coin has a typically soft strike for an early San Francisco Buff. On the obverse, notice the loss of detail on the eye, nostril, lips, tips of the first and second feathers, and left ribbon. LIBERTY is weak, but that was a design flaw on 1913-14-15 Buffs, and led to a redesign in 1916 to strengthen LIBERTY. As a result, the strength or weakness of LIBERTY generally is not used for grading the 1913-14-15 Buffs. On the reverse, there is strike weakness on the hair on the head and hump, the beard, front shoulder, and right rear leg. Peripheral lettering is weak on the reverse, especially toward the rim, another indication of weak metal flow from a soft strike. In addition, your coin's dies are slightly mismatched, with what appears to be a middle die state obverse and early middle die state reverse.

Adjusting for strike weakness, the obverse of your coin shows moderate wear on the eyebrow, hair at the cheekbone, and central braid. The reverse shows moderate wear on the shoulder, head, flank, and tail.

By appearance, your coin would be EF-40 obverse/EF-45 reverse, but much of that appearance is due to strike weakness and die state. When the strike is taken into consideration, your coin most likely would grade AU-50.

EDIT: The die clashes are interesting, but do not add to value. (Some people want unclashed coins to showcase the design.) The 1913-S Type 2 is a very tough date. In terms of value, you are somewhere in the mid-$400s. The market is a bit soft right now, and I'm seeing raw Buffs go slightly below Greysheet on bourse floors this year.
Edited by fortcollins
10/27/2019 11:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your excellent explanation. While it is not what I wanted to hear, at least this gives me some idea.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19352 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with any value of any coin is usually popularity. With Indian Head Nickels, such minor errors are so common and not a thing of popularity, so the value is just not there. Meaning you first have to find an error collector and then one that deals in those type of Nickels. Actually that coins value is better by the date and mint than as an error.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy how that works.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1343 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool example of coin minting history, very well explained above.
I'd keep it!
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 852Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05