Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 P Morgan Dollar - Worth Grading?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  1:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jim355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all
I have never submitted a coin for grading before. In general I am looking to see, how does discoloration affect the coin grade?

I have an absolutely beautiful 1887 Morgan that looks to have never been even touched. The pictures do not do it justice. In person the front looks perfect. However the reverse is, well, not as impressive. It has a stain or discoloration. How does this affect coin grade? I know it affects the collectability but How does this affect coin grade?

Edited by jim355
11/05/2019 4:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30366 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF fellow Michigander. Going to need better photos. As a general rule the coin needs a retail value of at least $150-200 to justify all costs involved in sending to PCGS-NGC or ANACS.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

I agree with John1 on the value criteria for submitting to a TPG. My concern over the stain on the reverse would be what appears to be a gouge across the eagle's left wing (viewers right)
Member SSDC, TNA
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I need to post better photos. Will do soon...
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Your Morgan is a common date. Wouldn't be worth the expense of grading unless it rates a high mint state consideration.

However . . There is an overdate 1887/6, VAM-2 variety which is rare. Please show better photos, especially of the date.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42704 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18448 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF! To be able to grade, we'd need larger photos with good lighting.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I added the best photos I could get with my phone. I think it could be worth grading if it wasn't for the gouge on the wing :( I did not see that until this morning.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your links were not working. I embedded the better photos into the OP. I hope that helps everyone.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope the ones visible give enough detail. I dont know how to get larger ones to show up.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18448 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like this one was used in a belt buckle or Bolo Tie. AU-55 details, polished/glue
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately it wouldn't grade better than a cleaned details coin. Definitely not worth sending out to grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42704 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pack it in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7867 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm sorry but I have to agree with several of the others in their assessment. the coin appears to have been harshly cleaned. you can especially see this on the obverse photo. all of those fine lines across the coin horizontally were made by something most likely mechanical like a buffing wheel as they are consistent in their length and do no abruptly stop. the eagle breast appears to have been retooled with something. IMO the coin would not grade at a TPG due to the extent of the cleaning. they normally will not grade a coin that cannot be traded and I don't see this coin other than silver value
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two thoughts:

1. The photos you've posted appear to have been taken with the coin still in a 2x2. Those horizontal lines on the obverse could be on the mylar instead of the coin. Take it out of the flip and repost the photos so everyone can get a better look at the coin.

However, the coin does show indications of both cleaning and mounting.

Notice the rim indentations from 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock on the obverse and matching indentations on the top of the reverse? Possible damage from having been mounted.

Also, the obverse appears very uniform in tone and lacks luster, some of which can be seen on the reverse still.

2. Assuming it's not an overdate coin, in MS65 they routinely sell for about $100 graded, so even if it hasn't been cleaned, it may not be worth getting graded because I don't think the coin would grade any higher than that due to the wing gouge and a few other contact marks, assuming we are wrong about the cleaning.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05