Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post What You Feel Are Some Of The Most Beautiful Coin Designs

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 403 / Views: 16,261Next Topic
Page: of 27
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20881 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  11:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are a couple of my favorites for eye pleasing designs.
Italy

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3487 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the Italian coins are extremely attractive, in my opinion. These two are more like fine art than coinage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
839 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Walking Liberty half dollar is the most beautiful design among US coins struck for circulation:

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A lot of the Italian coins are extremely attractive, in my opinion. These two are more like fine art than coinage.
True, though some of the later types are marred by the ugly portrait on the other side.

Here are some types (pictures not of my examples, and in some cases not of my subtype) that I have at various times considered among the most beautiful coins in my collection...

Japan, Taisho, 5 sen

Netherlands, Wilhelmina, 1 cent

Armenia, 10 dram 2004
(not actually that pretty - just nice and simple)

And here are other such coins that are my examples... though the pictures usually don't do them justice.

Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, 1 franc 1948
(Lucien Bazor made lots of other awesome designs as well)

Yemen, Mutawakkilite Kingdom, Yahya, 1/10 riyal, date unclear due to overdate

Hungary, 2 filler 1898
(woodgrain toning common for this type)

There are probably many others I couldn't think of immediately.

[EDIT: minor emphasis changes]
Edited by january1may
11/10/2019 1:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7030 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Gothic Crown deserves a place here!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. That Walker design is very majestic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1980 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, the top 5 prettiest (US) coins are:

1) Walking Liberty (both in the ASE and the .50 cent)
2) The $20 gold eagle liberty
3) Mercury dime
4) Indian Head cent
5) Peace dollar Liberty

I have 1 version of each expect the $20 dollar Gold coin in MS, and the details are beautiful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1980 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In world coins, there are so many, but I would probably default to the francs when they were circulated as works of art followed by Italian coins.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7030 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto - I agree with you about francs! This has to be one of my favorite French coin designs!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
839 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This has to be one of my favorite French coin designs!

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
324 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I would probably default to the francs when they were circulated as works of art ...

I concur with that! The general beauty of French coins was the most important reason I chose it as my main collection area. I like in particular the coins from around 1900, when the designs are very inspired by art nouveau. The four coins below are my favorite examples from that period.

50 centimes 1897, silver. This is the very first French "art nouveau coin", and the first in the famous "La Semeuse" ("The Soweress") series, the last of which was issued in 2001 (with the same design!).

20 francs 1899, gold. Another well known French coin, almost iconic: Marianne and the Gallic rooster.

25 centimes 1904, nickel. One of the first nickel coins (the very first came 1903 with a different reverse; this one is far more beautiful).

10 centimes 1913, bronze. And last, my absolute favorite, in my view the most beautiful of all French coins! And perhaps the most elaborate design used for such a small denomination. The reverse shows the Republic with a child.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20881 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The French 5 and 10 Centimes of the same design are also a favorite of mine. Can't argue the Walking Liberty half, a beauty.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20881 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another favorite of mine.
Mexico 1910 Cabillito Peso

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20881 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Panama Balboa

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2054 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love these.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2080 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 27 Previous TopicReplies: 403 / Views: 16,261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05