Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identify Unknown Coin World Coin Or Token

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  7:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kosednar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

My name is Joe Kosednar and I'm from Missouri. I have been helped by the Coin Community in the past.

My daughter e-mailed me a picture of a coin that she would like to identify.

The only character marked on the coin is M.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what this is.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13936 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe, I'm pretty sure that this is a Nomos from Lucania, Greece (or a copy of this coin), but will ask the mods to move your thread to the ancients section of CCF. This will help to get the best eyeballs on this piece.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kosednar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence,

Just a little more info;

My grandson found this coin in an old briefcase from an old coin collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4513 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. Interesting match-up (other than the lettering in exergue...is the upsilon missing or just worn on the coin above?) between the OP coin and one sold by Roma in 2016...flan shape, some of the flaws, etc. seem pretty darn close...

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3429977

Edited by Bob L
11/10/2019 10:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
22670 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  12:24 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13936 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe, any chance of you adding a couple pics of the edge of your piece?
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2692 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.flan shape, some of the flaws, etc. seem pretty darn close...

Amazingly so. Hard to imagine any explanation but one for two identically flawed planchets? And I do think I see some vestiges of that missing letter in the exergue
Great detective work (as always).
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be a cast copy from the pictured host coin.You can see that the two halves of the mold were out of alignment when the fake was made, especially at 3 to 5 o'clock in the second picture. Sorry, but not ancient, not rare, and not valuable.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kosednar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pictures;

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kosednar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question.

If the 3-6 o'clock of the second picture looks like additional material as an indication of a mis-registration then why does the 6-9 o'clock view of the first picture also show additional material?

Could the panchet be overweight?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13936 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the 3-6 o'clock of the second picture looks like additional material as an indication of a mis-registration then why does the 6-9 o'clock view of the first picture also show additional material?

Clear edge pics (i.e taken of the side of the coin rather than top down) would help us to confirm what you have, although as @badgermint points out, that region of the rim seems odd if this is a real coin. On the coin that @bobl posted, there doesn't seem to be the same extra metal present.

Quote:
Could the panchet be overweight?

Nothing is impossible, but a worn flan with a chunk missing should be underweight, right? Perhaps you can post the weight of this piece so that we have this for comparison?
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kosednar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter is a photographer but she is very busy and took these pictures at home without her good gear. She said she would try tomorrow in her studio.

The coin weights 62g.

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kosednar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooops 6.2g
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kosednar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scale might not be accurate
Learn More...
United States
22670 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the better pictures I have to change my first comment and agreed it's a copy. There is a prominent line on the edge which would indicate a casting. The two spurs are not a good sign IMO also.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2864 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
about this being a copy - it matches the Roma specimen enough to either be fake or the same coin, and I don't think they match sufficiently to be the same coin.

The edge line, obviously, doesn't help either.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05