Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Penny Extremely Strange Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  2:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chisox55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am new to coins and I recently came across this penny. I'll include pictures but here's a description. The line you see coming out of Lincoln's eye IS part of the coin and it is raised, it is not something stuck on the coin. Also the coin is extremely two toned, almost as though it's two different metals. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Edit: I also just weighed the coin as 3.1 grams which leads me to believe it is made of the 95% copper alloy.

Edited by Chisox55
11/12/2019 3:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2094 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think any of us would be able to help you without larger photos..please crop out all of the background until you reach the rim...looks some what interesting...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30379 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. 1982-D large date copper. The red stuff is on the coin,nail polish maybe. Acetone should remove it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chisox55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The stuff on the coin is 100% part of the coin, it is not nail polish, the line is an error from the mint
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20193 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No offense but we get people here all the time swearing things are part of the coin. Last time it was glue, acetone soak and it disappeared, they swore it was raised metal though.

You admit, "I am new to coins," so humor us and give it a soak in acetone please.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7312 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum
You have to realise that there are a limited number of things that can happen during the striking of a coin which will create an error. There are countless things that can happen to a coin after it is struck that can create damage. There is no way that line can happen when the coin was being struck and as you stated, it is something stuck on the coin which would mean that it is damage.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42751 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could simply be stained by some unknown chemical.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking!
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, paint, nail polish or something of the sort. No way this is anything from the minting process. Acetone won't hurt the coin but should remove most foreign material.
Edited by lcutler
11/12/2019 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I for one would love to see this coin closer.... can you please blow it up, (blow it up real good!) for us? Thanks.
and
to CCF!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05