Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1962-D LMC Lamination Reverse ?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  9:38 pm Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a first for me. I think this is a lamination flaw in the planchet of this BU 1962-D LMC.

I have taken pics with lighting from the left and from the right.

Any, and all, opinions are welcome on the severity of this and collectability of such a flaw.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice lam... I would put it in a 2x2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40981 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would call this struck through debris.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2110 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd how it disappears when the light source is moved.. I'm thinking some type of clear glue, try an Acetone soak
Pillar of the Community
United States
1161 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a lam. I think I'd need to see this in person. It is strange how it disappears.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40981 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note on the first image. You can see where it is starting to peel off the coin. You can see under that edge. If it were glue it would not be lifting. Also under that area, the planchet seems normal, not peeling off thick like other examples like a lamination would show?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2110 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ COOP...I don't think its showing/starting to peel, I think that's the border/outline of the glue...lets see it after a soak

Edited: look at the pixs when the light source is coming from the right ,if it was a lam or struck through the light would show/exaggerate the flaw

2nd edit: first photo shows light source from the left
Edited by Greasy Fingers
11/12/2019 10:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all of the input, Everyone!

I dipped the coin in acetone for about 10 seconds, rubbing it with latex-gloved finger and thumb.

I see no difference.

What about the problem spots on the "T" and "E" in "STATES"?

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:31 am  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:36 am  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:42 am  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2110 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ten seconds...it's Acetone not acid, try more like 15 to 20 minutes or longer won't hurt the coin
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  01:10 am  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay. Thanks Greasy Fingers. I'll do it again in the morning.
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a couple close up pics of his face and one of the right side of the memorial
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30446 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The texture looks different to me,so I am leaning towards struck through copper foil with a slight chance of it being a lamination.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I soaked the coin in acetone for 20 minutes, this morning. No changes to the areas of interest on the reverse of this coin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05