Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand 2000 5 Cent. Unsure If This Is An Error Or Not

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 594Next Topic  
Australia
8 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  02:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewCollwctor to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know this is the Australian Forum. I haven't quiet wprked out this website yet lol
I did some noodling and came across this 2000 5 cent which apears to be copper?
Could this coin have been toned to make it look older, or is this maybe a 5 cent struck on a wrong planchet

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17076 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check for weight against a standard NZ 5 Cent.
The pictured example appears to be copper plated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10578 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  02:59 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The weight compared to a normal coin will tell you a bit.

In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Australia
8 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewCollwctor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I need to go and buy some scales now lol
What weight should the coin be ple ASE
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7051 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  04:58 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are cupro-nickel coins, so they will go brown if buried in the soil for a while. It is probably a metal detector find. I've dug up plenty of 1947-67 British sixpences, which have the same metal composition as this coin, with exactly the same colouring.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17076 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The exact weight for a standard issued for circulation 5 Cents is
2.83 grams.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5145 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are cupro-nickel coins, so they will go brown if buried in the soil for a while. It is probably a metal detector find.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewAussieCollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to create a new account. As I lost my old log in details.
I have weighed the coin. It's weight is 2.85g
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1502 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably within margin of error.
I would agree that it has likely been buried.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17076 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 2.85 grams, authentic, standard issue.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05