Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 P LWC With Very Wide Rims

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
961 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  8:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sharing this because I am at a loss as to what this coin may be. I saw this last weekend and know the LWC proofs ended in 1916 so this one is odd.

I don't think the wide square rims are PSD because there is what looks like thin narrow bands of raised metal (finning?) on both sides which would show signs of altering if the rims were messed with. I'm not sure if the linear surface issues are part of the planchet or possible die pitting.
And there is some pretty good detail if it is an adjustment strike issue.
Thanks again for any insight on this one.

EDIT: These images are courtesy of Vette1986 on the bay.

Edited by Petespockets55
11/25/2019 10:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43868 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a beautiful early strike. Can you adjust the color to show us what this looks like in hand?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something about the coin looks off. No, everything about the coin looks off.

Strange rims, color, surfaces, image depth and so on.

Hmm.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14496 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pp55, can you please post the weight of this coin? I agree that it looks odd.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1580 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the secret is in those strange rims. Definitely an oddball. I have never seen anything like it. And what's with the strange striations n the field?
Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys and probably some gals that read this post. I just went back to give credit to the seller, Vette1986 on the Bay, for his images.

Thanks for the interest and comments and I wish I had the coin to be able to answer the questions for everyone here.
I won't have this one in hand because someone outbid me this weekend, luckily. I also posted this on the LCF and one reply was thinking it looked off as well. Between the color, the porosity, and texture of the fields. He thought the rims could have been flattened without damaging other areas and it might be a cast fake.
I noticed the anomaly over the date that extends onto the rim and that seems off as well.

I now have very strong doubts this is genuine. I was busy trying to explain the irregularities and looked past the obvious possibility of it being a fake. Guess I just couldn't imagine someone faking a somewhat common LWC.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still not sure what it is, but you can really tell it's an AMERICAN coin. The fields are full of amber waves and grain. Sorry, I love puns and that one just hit me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a cast fake to me
Pillar of the Community
United States
2441 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heavily cleaned to show off lamination errors, he probably stated that it was cleaned in description...he's pretty straight up about things like that...I have bought from him before
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  08:26 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He didn't really say anything about the coin's condition in the listing. I did find another coin that he's selling with the same look to the rims. 352867633625

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43868 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look add. Aside from the rims and ridges in the fields, the jaw bone is lacking in detail compared to the ear and hair.
Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
at Yokozuna. That it does. (I Love puns as well.)

Thanks all.

Originally I guess I was wondering if this might be a pattern coin for reintroducing proof cents or some other reason if it was legit. But a lot of things do look off on it.

I did find one reference to one Matte proof coin illegally produced for 1917! Hmmmm .....

Wikipedia LINK for LWC production with mention of an illegal 1917 proof
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linco...tage_figures

EDIT: I just noticed it looks like VDB is visible under the bust so the die wasn't made before 1918.
Edited by Petespockets55
11/26/2019 09:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
599 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ petespockets55, your rims on this coin look very similar to the thick rims in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I4U8Exu0NM
Starting at 7:33 if you want to check it out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@ petespockets55, your rims on this coin look very similar to the thick rims in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I4U8Exu0NM
Starting at 7:33 if you want to check it out.

Thanks GM55. That was an interesting video and Ray actually started a thread on the LincolnCentforum on that 1942 he took images of.

Very good perspective from the collector/dealer that wouldn't give up trying to figure out what he had.

ps. I don't own this coin, as someone alse won it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41723 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or got stuck with it. The 1924 cent had a lot of damage on that coin. The obverse face is flattened and the blow also damaged the reverse devices.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/35286763...20nordt=true

Also the rim is damage on both sides.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/26/2019 9:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the 1924 I see the rim damage on the reverse but not the obv. Looks more like finning to these learning eyes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05