Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1793 Cent Found At Walmart

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,602Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
272 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  10:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
stumbled across this online figured it may make others laugh like it did me. amazing what Wal-mart has for sale besides the typical things on their shelves I don't know about you but it really makes me wonder. Way more questions than answers with this one for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3408 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's to laugh about ? Market place retailing is what it is.
Wal Mart looks like it partners rare coins through APMEX and others.
Hardly questionable . No different than Amazon and hardly nefarious.
Back in the day , pre Internet most major department stores had a kiosk .
These stores usually partnered with a coin dealer.
Edited by Pacificoin
11/29/2019 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8096 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were saying you found a 1793 cent at Walmart.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Edited by CoinCollector2012
11/29/2019 11:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not nefarious just not quite what I expected to see thanks for clearing up that they partner with APMEX and others just didn't understand how they came to offer something of this magnitude.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the same thing coin collector!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20644 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wal-mart has been allowing third party sellers on their website for years. You could see pretty much anything.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2140 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought this was going to be another *Coin Star* find. With the Partner or Third Party sales as Bobby pointed out, I'm not surprised by anything I see on the Walmart web site.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No different than Amazon and hardly nefarious.

Exactly, it's just their version of Amazon. I actually like there's better as the shipping is basically the same as Amazon and you don't have to pay over a $100 a year in order to get the "free" shipping.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smart business move. Market everything.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It reminds me of back in the day, when quite a few department stores had coin stores or coin departments. It's good marketing. Having a retail giant doing numismatic marketing could help raise interest in the hobby. I see only positives here.
Learn More...
United States
88810 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were saying you found a 1973 cent at Walmart.
Same.
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Illegaltender to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I thought this was gonna be about a coinstar find or something and was all ready to get jealous. That does seem like a uniquely bad marketplace for high dollar coins.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought you had found a 1793 cent at the Walmart store! But....it is not to be....

Well, it just showed how things have changed but remains the same in the some ways.

I remember from my childhood days—the department store named Gimbel's used to have a coin and stamp department! I often went there just to browse. I learnt a lot about the prices at Gimbels versus coin shop. I think I still have coins from there as it comes in overpriced coin set.

This was in early 1980s, just a few years away before Gimbels went bankrupt or was sold off.

I am not sure about other department stores?

But....Amazon and Walmart does not have sense to monitor whether the coins are genuine or not and check on the prices to make sure they are reasonable.

I will not entertain buying coins from there!

Anyway, thank you for bringing some memories from my childhood!

Edited by Carrigna
11/30/2019 03:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought this was gonna be about a coinstar find or something and was all ready to get jealous.

Same here.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Collecting coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Pillar of the Community
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Knowing Wally World, both the slab and "coin" came off a cargo freighter from China.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Knowing Wally World, both the slab and "coin" came off a cargo freighter from China.

No it didn't
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,602Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05