Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Misplaced Mint Mark 1963 S Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  8:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Former lurker, first time poster. I found this nickel in a bag of buffalo's I am sorting through. It looks like the mint mark may have been struck on the wrong side. I don't expect it to be worth anything, but it could have a neat factor. I'd love some opinions.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an s to me could be PMD or the guys have a word for it on here I can't recall which amounts to seeing shapes where there aren't. Better pictures please closer to the suspected mint mark please. Very interesting find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13921 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ita, glad to have you out of lurker mode and contributing. That nickel looks pretty cool. I suspect that the number 9 just took a hit that shaped the bottom part roughly- S-like. I've tried to enlarge, crop, and enhance this region, but it is a bit pixelated. It would be super-cool if you could post a nice clear close-up. Thx!

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
7318 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just PMD.
The only mm in 1963 was a "D" and it was on the reverse.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would take a pretty specific hit to make the s with a tail like it has. I am hopeful on this one looks too good. like spence said enlarged close up clear picture of the date please. thank you jimmyd still looks exactly like an s.
Edited by muddyknuckles
11/30/2019 8:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7318 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
muddynuckles-
The word you were looking for earlier is pareidolia,
it fits in perfect with this post.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I am already struggling with that 300 limit. I got out a magnifying glass to take this picture. It looks very different, but the raised area beneath the end point if the 9 still catches my attention. PMD?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13921 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PMD?

Yep sure looks like it to me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40916 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 'S' mintmark wasn't used from 1956-1967. The mint at San Francisco closed in 1955 and reopened in 1965. But the 1965-1967 coins didn't have any mintmarks. In 1968 there were 1968-S Cents in business strike and proof cents.

So it would be impossible to have a 'S' mintmark in 1963.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jimmyd that's it exactly. Under greater magnification it looks like a moon crater but before I would have swore it was a dropped letter even down to the s having a proper tail.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I thought, too, muddyknuckles! This was great; I learned a lot! I have seen so many S mint marks recently that I didn't stop to ask if that was a year they were open. Now that you say it, it makes a lot of sense looking at what I have, too. Thank you, everyone!
Learn More...
United States
79239 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05