Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Buff 5c FS-801? FS-101? Lots Going On Here I Think

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  01:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK...I will try to keep short and not babble. 1936 Buff Nickel I have and see a lot going on here. FS-801 & FS-101 on same coin? That would be a first I believe. These are the points/Questions:

1. Looks to be in good shape but maybe a Late Die Stage as it's a good strike but weak? Very pleasant Gold iridescent tone. Clear Die Polish lines evident in fields, from worn Die near end?

2. Suspect DDR FS-801. FIVE CENTS possibly up to Quadrupled. USA maybe doubled but late die state seems to have mangled it some? Hind Legs? E PLURIBUS UNUM seen better days but I think it is worn DIE generated?

3. Suspect DDO FS-101. Date maybe? LIBERTY looks doubled some but maybe just MD for both.

4. Die CLASH under Chin.

4. Apologize as some pictures not too good. Different lightings, Scope, over cropped (ooops), etc., but overall I think they get the point across for inspection by you fine folks.

5. Variety Vista has great photos of this Variety in all forms. Some seem to match this coin. Check it out if you like.

Looking for comments on what you all see on this fine looking BUFF. Maybe there's nothing there and I need new glasses. Thx. Here we go...:

FIRST...PICTURES OF BUFF IN TWO DIFFERENT LIGHTS.

NEXT...PICS FOR DDR FS-801 QUESTION:

NEXT...PICS FOR DDO FS-101 QUESTION:

NEXT...CHIN DIE CLASH:

Edited by BuyGuns
12/03/2019 01:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31165 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area but here is my two cent,I mean five cents .
Pic overload . I am seeing "maybe" MD and DDD,but like I said not my area.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1...yea....I know it is picture overload. I was going to mention that, but each picture has a little different angle and shows maybe an area that the others didn't. So, I just added them. I thought about doing more and replace all with a shorter picture list, but meh...I'll leave it. Unless Moderator's tell me I'm using up all their bandwidth. Lol. It is annoying I know. But thanks for the look anyway. Faithful as always.

I do think I will send this to PCGS with others I am sending this week. They can decipher what's there. Something is, and it is a nice eye appeal looking nickel in hand. And I think it is some form of a DDR FS-801. The Obverse is probably MD as you noted, and I alluded to in my opening comment. Ok...and I do appreciate your 'Five Cents'
Edited by BuyGuns
12/03/2019 06:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  07:00 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither look like the doubled die, both have strong Die Deterioration Doubling. I would not recommend sending those in for grading.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43825 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I want candor....this is where I come. Lol Gotta love it. Roger that on the Die Deterioration John1, Tan & Frog.
Edited by BuyGuns
12/05/2019 4:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31165 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Roger that on the Die Deterioration Tan & Frog.

What about me,I said it first
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18940 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use of to much enlarging makes all look odd. I wouldn't spend money on having that sent anywhere for anything. I think we sometimes see more than is actually there. Nice coin though.
just carl
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Carl....100% agree on enlarged pictures, though useful at times. And yes, I end up overdoing it. And 110% agree about seeing more than is there. No doubt.

It's my compulsion to try and give as much detail for my claims/questions. But I know it does exaggerate some things on coins. Which led me to comment in another post about this wanna-be FS-801 coin, LOL:

"MD just seems to follow me. I posted a Buff here a few days ago. Swore it had to be at least a DDR FS-801. But you Pillars and Bedrocks crushed that dream. So this old Pebble had to limp back to the drawing board. lol"

Like I also said....having too much fun. Light heartedness and humor a must.
Edited by BuyGuns
12/05/2019 4:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VLDS. Has that "orange peel" look in the coins fields.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05