Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 D Double Struck Date/Mm Jefferson 5c. Aliens Landed On Thomas' Head?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  11:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Latest acquisition. A fine sample of a double struck Date 5C piece. It even got a piece of the Mint Mark. With perfectly placed 'Alien Ship' on Jefferson's Head. I do name my coins. Any Suggestions? Mad Hatter? Meh...

Also, may be a full Five Steps 5C coin as well, save a top step blotch it seems. Decent condition. Nice light Gold Tones (pics not so evident). A keeper for sure. Just wanted to share with the brethren.

Edited by BuyGuns
12/05/2019 12:27 am
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  12:12 am  Show Profile   Check chrisof4's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice one. Did you buy it or find it CRH?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good ol eBay. Paid more than it's worth (except maybe to a error collector) of $25. Value without Double Strike probably $10, if that. With it? I guess that would be up to whoever wanted it. I wanted it, so to me it was worth it. Hence, I paid the Buy It Now price. Could have 'Made Offer' but risked it being sold before accepted. No biggie. Won't starve.
Edited by BuyGuns
12/05/2019 12:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10527 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Considering the overall condition and possible FS, I don't think $25 was bad at all.

I have several Jeff errors, but not a double-strike yet.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes spruett. I agree. Not too bad a deal. Condition is very nice.

I am adding a number of other pictures here, as I noticed some maybe strangeness about the Lettering on the Obverse. Post to see what folks think. Seems to be extra metal, or stretching, etc.. Particularly 'TRUST' (see S & T as very odd...doubled 'S'?), 'LIBERTY', '1971', 'D'. Don't know technical name for it, if it's anything.

I think it is a worn Die issue of no major importance, such as a identified Variety would be, or nothing at all. But worth a look by those who are Jefferson or Die experts. Truth is, it all looks like a bad solder job. Or....(drum roll please)...good old MD.

And, note the sharp rim. Almost Proof/SMS like. Just an observation.

I'll tell ya spruett...MD just seems to follow me. I posted a Buff here a few days ago. Swore it had to be at least a DDR FS-801. But you Pillars and Bedrocks crushed that dream. . So this old Pebble had to limp back to the drawing board. lol.

I'm clearly having too much fun.

Here they are. Letters get progressively worse as you scroll (though not my best work):

Edited by BuyGuns
12/05/2019 03:36 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well...I'll be horsewhipped. I just went to Variety Vista, and found there is a 1971 Jefferson nickel DDO-001 variety that has THREE Stages of DDO on exact Letters I posted.

Yes...mine is a Denver copy. The DDO is Philly. Could a Die make its way to a different mint as a loan? Or some other reason? Just lots of similarities in pictures.

Anyway, I am NOT saying my sample is a DDO, but interesting to take a gander. Here are a few of the DDO Stage pictures. These are ONLY some of the TRUST letters, lest I picture overload you guys again...

VARIOUS 1971 DDO-001 STAGE PICS (Next Four from Variety Vista):

COMPARE TO THIS ONE:

Edited by BuyGuns
12/06/2019 01:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could a Die make its way to a different mint as a loan? Or some other reason?

Hmm, I don't think so, but

More likely seems to me that your coin is showing degeneration of the die. I don't see any split serifs on the letters of your coin.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it Spence. I did think I saw those splits on the top of the TRUST 'S' and the TRUST last 'T', when comparing to the Varity Vista pictures. The 'S' being almost the very same condition. Coincidence? Probably.

Matters not though. It is good like it is. The Double Strike is the defining feature here. Another one I 'm glad to have.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Double Strike is the defining feature here

I agree--well done picking up this one. I imagine the top part is somewhat fragile. How are you planning to store it? Or will you slab it?
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well...first yes, you are correct. That top part thins out almost knife like on its edge. So handling gingerly. I don't think it will fall off or chip easily, but keeping it safe. Flip'ed for now. Plastic Case soon, or Slabbed.

On that slabbed subject...I have mentioned to folks here I wanted to have a slabbed collection. Not all, God no. Too many coins. But the ones I think are worthy. That's many right now. I'd have no life if I posted all my cool coins. Lol. But many varied opinions here on CC about doing that, but what matters is how I like to make it happen. My money, my decision, but always listen to recommendations. Definitely covet the opinions if a coin is worth a Slab attempt I am all ears, if I'm thinking the slab method for a particular coin. Folks here are candid and that's what I like/need.

But on this one, I am still debating. But I think it may be a good idea to have it professionally graded and slabbed (protected), and the identifying Mint Error validated. So we will see.

Had a family emergency last couple months. Took me out of pocket for a while, so my grading hoard was put on hold. Lol. Good news is all is well. So on we go....
Edited by BuyGuns
12/05/2019 07:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44072 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late to the party, but congrats on a great double strike.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25102 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice error coin!
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41826 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need to keep to one coin per thread, it this is the case? If this is the same coin, the new revelation is a different subject. So I'll wait for an answer to see if these images are of all of the same coin or not?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Coop....yes...all the same coin, except the few pics from Variety Vista I inserted for comparison on the DDO question.

I once got educated here on CC, to keep each added comment in a post/thread, separate for flow purposes, rather than continually 'Editing' and existing comment in the thread. Makes sense. So I surmised (nice word) that keeping the thread flow going, called for continuing the subject of the same coin on this thread as the correct method, even though it was a secondary subject of the same coin.

So...are you saying even though the original Double Struck post/thread is the same coin....when I introduced the DDO question, I should have started a NEW post/thread?

Now that I confused everyone, please fell free to expound on what I should do in the future. I will comply. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BG, I'm generally anti-slab, but in some specific cases (such as for keys), I like to have that assurance, no matter how thin. I would also make an exception for a coin like this which has such a fragile component to it.

Also, FWIW being that I'm not a mod, I think that it is quite reasonable for you to ask one or more additional questions about the same coin further down in the same thread.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41826 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the questions on two different subjects were confusing to me. The doubling your posting your coin, look like Machine Doubling. (If I'm looking that the correct images) I usually put a tag on who's images your posting. Your images are not a problem, but using others that are copyrighted, with out credit give from who the image is from, is an issue. With a tag on them, it will prevent you from getting in trouble, and to use here, it helps us see the source the images came from. So it makes it flow better on the forum.

Note on your image of 'TRU' on TRUST. Note the top of the 'R'. With it reduced, it is Machine Doubling, not a doubled die. The area area of those devices are flattened. A doubled die would be enlarged. Same on 'LIBE'. note they are reduced from the devices, flattened by Machine Doubling and not a doubled die. So keep in mind why I was confused. The images were not of the same coin, but from another source and your image was from another source. So the note on borrowed images will keep you out of trouble.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05