Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Graduation Gift To Myself After 7 Years Of Grad School

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,075Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
578 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  5:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SaintRidley to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I started grad school, I knew exactly how I was going to reward myself when I was done. I wanted a coin to commemorate my time working on my PhD. Over the course of the next seven years I worked, and along the way I added an MFA in literary translation to the mix, but I always kept in sight the specific coin I wanted. It'd be perfect as a memento of the effort because part of the campus I was studying at would be on the coin.

Well, I defended my dissertation in May and I'm now Dr. SaintRidley. Two weeks from tomorrow, I walk for commencement, and I decided now was the time to reward myself and get my graduation coin. It didn't take much effort at all to talk the dealer into a $5 discount, so I'm happy about that too.

Anyway, here it is.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7267 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your graduation and on your amazing purchase! Great coin!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15995 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3542 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All that you need to do now is the easy part-get a job. Congratulations and best of luck. When you get a job you can reward yourself with something else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on a huge accomplishment!
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on a lovely coin and outstanding job on your PHD Dr. SaintRidley!
I am wondering as to your specialty?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3460 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Dr.!
Pillar of the Community
United States
578 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaintRidley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oriole, easier said than done. Medieval literature is not exactly a booming field. Fortunately my translation MFA significantly expands the number of opportunities I can go for in academia.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2928 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!!
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, Doctor! Huge accomplishment!
Valued Member
Canada
484 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations that is a big accomplishment!
Very nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4531 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on the PhD!

It's always nice to add a coin with a meaningful personal connection to one's collection! And you've got a nice one there! I hope it's part of your collection for many years to come!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19405 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! That's really a long slog (mine was 35 years ago), and a great reward for the perseverance.

In case you haven't discovered these parts of the Forum, there is an Ancient and Medieval area, and on the Main Coin Forum's thread "How Far Back..." we are posting late 15th century coins now. Deciphering some of the legends on those coins is a lot of fun, and probably fits with your skills.

Will your job search keep you in the U.S., or take you elsewhere?

Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beachnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! Great accomplishment.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,075Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05