Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999-D, 10,000 Mint State Pennies, What Should I Do With Them?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,156Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  11:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For some reason back in 1999, I went into my bank and requested $100 in Pennies. They gave me two $50 bags of brand new pennies.

I just put them away and haven't touched them. Now I'm retired and have been working on organizing all my coins and currency I've collected/accumulated during my life.

As I've come to these bags of uncirculated/Mint State coins, I don't know how to proceed.

I've thought about putting them all in 2X2 flips, or send some in for grading, or just leave them alone and move on to something else for now. I still have tens of thousands other coins that need sorting.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I just wait another 10-15 years and come back to them?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33608 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could try and sell one bag as a true unsearched bag of cents. Figure out the retail value and make that the minimum bid?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
16051 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions?

Sounds a little like you are getting bogged down with an accumulation (as opposed to a collection). Try "hygge" for 2020!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16982 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of a sketch from Monty Pythons Flying Circus.:-
A guy had some string for sale.
Two hundred and forty-eight thousand miles of it, to be exact.
One small problem:- it was all in six inch lengths!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make an arrangement to drop them off at head branch of a bank, or an issuing bank of the Feds.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3433 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You answered your question. You have more than enough you want to do without this. Sell them as unsearched, but if they do not sell in a reasonable time, just take them to the bank.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13429 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree that selling them as unsearched bags is the best way to go but mind your shipping charges . One bag might fit into a large flat rate box , about $17 and change .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's a lot of Lincolns. Two options if you're looking to part with them. Return them at face value or list rolls at one dollar plus shipping on EBAY for a profit. Any other option, like going through them, would require more liquor since you appear to be out.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All good comments and suggestions, thank you.

Yes I have some accumulations, but I do have collections as well.

I've made it through about 10K wheats so far, putting them all in 2X2, and sorting them, I still have at least another 20-25K wheats to go through and sort, and put in 2X2's.

I'll have to think about getting rid of some of the 1999-Ds, I've never seriously considered getting rid of anything coin related before.
My Precious......

Thank you again

Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not every Wheat cent needs/deserves to go in a 2x2. Most are worth 3 cents each IF you can convince someone they're unsearched. The 1999s can go back to the bank, and they won't be happy to get them back all at once.. Sounds like you don't need the money, so you can do what you want.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16452 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16452 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out this toner I found:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way back some time ago I did the same thing about getting lots of rolls of new cents. I ended up taking them all back to the bank.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33608 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadThad,
I love that magnifier on your link.How cool would it be if CCF had that feature Bobby........
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8762 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd put one bag away in a climate controlled situation and sell the other mint sewn bag for $75 0r $80 and forget about them for another 10 or 15 years.
You would have a bag for 1/2 price and have no money tied up.
I belong to a coin club with auctions every meeting by members. I'm pretty sure that if I had a bag up for auction somebody would buy it at $75 or more? One bag is enough! LOL!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
12/10/2019 12:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
86327 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL Gollum. "Precious" they are.

Seems like an auction is the best way to go. Most interest would be in the possibility of 1999 WAM's or errors that might be in the MSB (Mint Sewn Bag).

Not excited about the 16 varieties (9@CC + 7@VV) for this year. One (1DR-003) isn't a column DDR though.
At least Denver isn't as monotonous as the 41 for Philly which are all column DDR's.
Edited by Petespockets55
12/11/2019 05:49 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,156Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05