Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Large Cent Variety

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1462 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin has eluded me for a long time finally one come into my cross hairs and I pulled the trigger perfect shot its mine.
I purchased it on a Buy It Now as a 1894 large cent with no mention of the double 9 its been a hard coin for me to find.

Pictures

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are sooo right about that being a toughie to find. I have 14 1894 fat 4's and 18 other 1894's. I have only 2 of the thin-4 1894's, like yours, that have the R/P'd 9's ... yet 4 of the "fat-4's" have the R/P'd 9. I never used to look at the fat-4's for R/P'd 9, and had to relook at the thin 4's for the R/P. Nice find and thanks for the post .. it made me look at some of my stuff. With the spinal surgery recupe,, I haven't had a chance to look at any of my old stuff. The thin-4 R/P 9 goes on my "watch out for" list.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, you made me look again. I only have 2 "fat 4" with a R/P'd 9 and have 3 of the thin 4 R/P'd 9. However, one of the R/P'd thins is triple punched. Here are some QX5 microscope shots of the thin and Fat 4 R/P's. The first shot is a T/P 9 thin 4 The next one is a full shot of a fat 4 R/P'd 9. The third shot is a close-up of the fat 4 R/P'd 9. The last one is a R/P 9 like yours with a normal thin 4.

Edited by okiecoiner
12/09/2019 7:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, here is the question. Is there one fat 4 reverse die, or more than one? I think there is one. It has Bill's RP9, which is visible only in some die states. In other die states, the RP is obscured either a bit of grease or die wear. I may be wrong, but I think there is only one die and all the fat 4's have a RP9, some visible and some not. Agree or disagree?

If you blow up the reverse photos of these two mint state coins and look at the 9, you'll see what I am talking about. The 9's are weak and have little detail.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/wor...ption-071515

https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/wor...bnail-071515
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the prettiest coin, but here is a mint state RP9 with a thin 4. Click on the photo to enlarge. Sometimes you have to refresh to get to the PCGS page.

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/35424997
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Rob, I'm getting ready for bed and my back is sore from the surgery and leaning over my microscope. From what I saw this afternoon and evening, not all the fat 4's had a R/P'd 9. I will see if I can pull a few markers out in addition to the 9 & 4. B
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Compare the leaf #9 stems. They differed a little bit by die.

I haven't yet seen one with a reverse die crack. Just obverse cracks at A in Canada, A in Regina, and A in Gratia.
Edited by bosox
12/09/2019 8:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I love CCF threads like this! You guys have so much knowledge on the Victoria cents. Thanks for sharing some of it it with us.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sending my fat 4's to Bosox next week while in Buffalo. Everyone should look at theirs and see if the 9 appears to be R/P'd on the fat 4's.... or just a larger knob than the 9's on the thin 4's.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1462 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had about 4-5 fat 4's but gave all away to others except this one. Out of the one's that I had 2 had the die crack between the last A of Canada and before the last A in Regina the others were like this one no die cracks on obverse or reverse.
To me I don't think the ball of the 9 is doubled so I took picture's of the reverse, the 9 and leaf 9 I hope this helps Rob

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know Jim and Phil, that 3-4 years ago this thread would have had 7-8 people chiming in and offering data. I guess that Vicky varieties must be somewhat in the past. Now it seems to be microscopes to find tiny blemishes for the error collectors. But I'll keep posting on threads that get down and dirty with neat varieties and questions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1462 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it seems that no one really gives a blank anymore but I'm still in love with Queen Vicky large cents. If people are smart they will absorb this knowledge as we all know if you don't use it you lose it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3-4 years ago this thread would have had 7-8 people chiming in and offering data.

It does seem pretty quiet these days.

Bill, I checked the few 1894's I have and I only have one thin 4 re-punched 9 like the last one you showed.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my as yet unpublished work on the 1894 cent dies I have the following findings:

1. My rev. die A (with the thick/crude/fat 4 and a 9 punch style unlike that on any of the thin 4 dies) is a single die. The 9 shows repunching (tiny "horns" below both loops of the 9), but it is virtually microscopic and hence trivial.

2. My rev. die D has minor doubling inside the left upper loop of the 9. Again trivial.

3. My rev. die E (previously illustrated and discussed in this thread) is the only one with significant repunching. It is scarce, but hardly rare. My catalog includes four entries for the die pair in various states.

I can't find any other 1894 reverses that display any repunching of the 9.
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim - Are A, D, and E all "Thick 4" dies, or have you found only one such die?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1464 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are my 2

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05