Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed - China Qing Dynasty Qian Long Tong Bao 1736 To 1795?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Netherlands
9 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  01:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cavebear to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I apologize for any stupidities (forum wise or numismatic) in advance. This is my first post here.

A brief introduction: I've been collecting coins during my childhood and adolescent years and they've been sitting in a drawer ever since (decades). As Christmas is nearing I thought it would be nice to have something to do, so I've started sorting out part of my coins. Generally I found that it is so much easier than it used to be as we have the internet nowadays. I used several sites (not sure yet if they're the best).

I came across a few coins I'm sure I couldn't ID when I was young. One of them, I found out, is a Thai 10 satang coin (1908-1939). (Don't know the year yet).

Another one I've surely been puzzling about when I was young is a coin with Eastern characters. I've been checking out CoinQuest on that coin. I see no exact similarity with any of the coins pictured there but what comes the closest is China Qing Dynasty Qian Long Tong Bao 1736 to 1795 in my opinion. I may be wrong though. I also read there that some fraud is going on with Chinese coins (since when?) so that makes even more cautious.

Anyway, I would appreciate your help with this coin very much.

Thanks in advance, Cavebear

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14480 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cavebear, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes I think that you have attributed this coin correctly. Your second pic should be rotated 90 degrees. There are some small stylistic variations in the characters which can sometimes narrow things down even further. If you have many cast cash like this one then Hartill's book might be a useful purchase.

For your Thai coin, consider posting that one in a new thread as we might be able to help you.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Netherlands
9 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cavebear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Spence, thanks a lot for welcoming me.

Nice you could confirm my ID. So it's not a fake for sure?
Is it possible to further narrow down the year of production?

And of course I would also be interested in the grade and possible value of this coin.

Regards, Cavebear

P.S. I wish I had more of these but it's the only one
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14480 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So it's not a fake for sure?

It seems almost inconceivable to me that these would be faked due to their low value and the (related) fact that they made a bajallion of them. There is nothing that screams fake to me about this coin.

Quote:
Is it possible to further narrow down the year of production?

I can take a look at my Hartill and see if I can find a match for the subtype. in the meanwhile, can you please post the weight and diameter of this coin? Those data are sometimes helpful. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
80953 Posts
Netherlands
9 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cavebear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I expected I would find a mail in my inbox after every reply but I haven't received those after the first reply.

The diameter is give or take 24.2 millimeters. The weight is probably between 4 and 5 grams (we only have a kitchen scale; I should start looking for a more precise one).

Cavebear
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cavebear your coin is a match for Hartill 22.273 which is more specifically described as being produced in Fuzhou, Fujian under Emperor Gao Zong circa 1750-1790.

I am not an expert on coins of China, but I've seen quite a few. In my opinion, the weight and diameter are within acceptable range and the appearance is consistent with a genuine coin.

These are not especially rare or valuable, but they can nevertheless transport us to another time and place merely by holding one in our hands.

Netherlands
9 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cavebear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PatAR: Thanks a lot for narrowing it down. I quite agree that it looks like it's a Fuzhou, Fujian produced coin. I found this website http://www.chinazeug.de/qing_qian_long.htm, where a few of these are portrayed. Hartill 22.273 comes very close but I see some minor differences in some of the characters. Maybe Hartill 22.271 even comes a bit closer? (Some difference there as well, but smaller?).

Whatever it turns out to be, it's by far the oldest coin I have and I agree it transports you to those other times and places very smoothly.

Cavebear

Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2019  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormyCatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'd be surprised what people will reproduce in China, this specific coin included. That said the reproductions are usually not made to deceive collectors but rather to be part of a larger charm or something. Yours is just fine.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05