Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Such Thing As Pewter Or Pewter Alloy Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  03:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just realized I don't think I've ever seen pewter listed in the contents of any coins from any countries. Is it just too soft? Does it not mix well with anything to harden it?
Sorry if it's a dumb question. Coins have begun to make me more interested in metallurgy in general, and I know so little to start with.
Also in case anyone happens to know, which is more valuable per mass: nickel or pewter?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16311 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pewter is an alloy of copper and tin (more recently an alloy of Copper Tin and Antimony), and the Malaysian Company of Selangor is famous for their pewter products. I have a cup made from this material.

The mineral for tin is casiterite, and very large deposits of it are found in Malaysia.
Thus, Malaysian Peninsular has issued many tin and tin alloy coins in the past, especially in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Thailand has also officially issued tin coins, but I suspect that they are made of pewter, because copper and antinimony can be used to harden the alloy. I have a few of these, taken from dealers' junk boxes over the years.

Pure Antimony has been used in coins as well, but I can think of only one issue from China.

Interestingly I have never seen a pewter coin, (except as for above?), but I have not even the slightest doubt that they exist, and most probably an issue in the Mayasian area, but not of modern or current issue, because as the OP has suggested, pewter is really too soft for a modern issued coinage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently pure tin at USD 17,200 per tonne is slightly more valuable than pure Nickel at USD 14,200 per tonne, Antimony price USD 6,000 per tonne.

I have a rather large 2kg chunk of pure tin, but has been machined to be used for a lap for my faceting machine.
I am currently cutting Australian natural yellow sapphire, the rough for which comes from Anakie, in Central Queensland.
Edited by sel_69l
12/15/2019 06:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14478 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kawliga, we have an entire thread devoted to coins made from unusual materials: http://goccf.com/t/284136
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16140 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is "pewter" can be so many different alloys. The tin coins of Thailand could be considered to be "pewter" because come alloys of pewter can be over 99% tin.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, fascinating stuff, thanks!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05