Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts, Please: Is It Ever Okay To Buy Details Coins?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3614 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got over 2,500 DETAILS coins in my collection .... a.k.a. counterstamps!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19052 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never even look at those labels. What some say is a detailed coin, others possibly would say WHAT? I buy coins I like regardless of labels.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16443 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do what just carl does:
slabbed or not,
details or problem free.

I may? use the description as a guide, but in the end, I always go on my own judgement.
That is why it is always best to examine the coin in hand first, before deciding to buy,
unless there a guaranteed return refund policy.

That especially includes for a 'details' coin, which could well come with a huge price advantage, just because some collectors can become very disappointed with a 'details' coin in their collection.

Some collectors' trash can be most collectors' treasure.
Edited by sel_69l
12/19/2019 04:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3614 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A high percentage of colonial coppers nowadays qualify as "details" coins. While I tend to much prefer raw coins, I can well appreciate footing the cost of slabbing a "details" colonial; especially so, if it's a scarce variety. I prefer avoiding grades and "details" labels on such pieces, instead seeking "genuine" and the variety attribution labels. Why state the obvious like "corroded, whizzed, counterstamped, details, etc.?" My thought is simply label attributes that are needing to be defined.
Learn More...
United States
24337 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  07:40 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
tooled (whatever that is)
A tooled coin is one that has been altered, usually in an effort to conceal wear or enhance areas of the coin.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On older coins, cleaned doesn't bother me much. Especially if they have re-toned and has good eye appeal. Holed however I just can't get into. Or bent. Damaged? Depends on the damaged. I've got 1855 gold dollar that PCGS gave an "AU Damaged" to. Damage turned out to be a tiny speck. Only with my 20x could I tell it was a pin prick. Got a coin that I find absolutely beautiful, for half the retail cost of an undamaged AU. I just posted something in the TPG section on why can't PCGS Or NGC give a number grade to details coins. ANACS usually will.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2957 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.

Buy any coin you want.

Why is there even a question about this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
583 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was nothing wrong with asking the question. I'll bet many collectors(novices especially such as myself) have the same question.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I thought I'd ask around before unwittingly making a mistake. Don't want to spend meaningful $$ on something that can't be resold later.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add misfit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, I thought I'd ask around before unwittingly making a mistake. Don't want to spend meaningful $$ on something that can't be resold later

Just about any coin can be resold later. Question is can you find someone to pay your minimum price?

99.9% of my classic coins were purchased from 76 through 83, grade-school and middle school. I would say a good percentage would be details coins, that's all my budget allowed at the time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3416 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, a detailed coin is simply an opinion. I've resubmitted details coins later to have them TPG graded in no problem holders. Also, it depends what the coin is, and why one is purchasing it -- for my type set I have purchased details coins with good eye appeal and cracked them out with the peace of mind of knowing they are considered genuine -- this is probably a good idea for heavily counterfeited coins such as Trade dollars.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2032 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the well-worn coins in my grandpa's old Lincoln book are details coins....and he pulled all of them out of circulation. Just because they're details it doesn't mean they weren't money.

Grandpa's objective was to fill the holes in the book. In the 1940's it was like prospecting. A one cent coin like his 1910-S might be worth a whole dollar. Condition wasn't important.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
01/06/2020 12:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to buy them at auctions when I first started out collecting coins when I did not even realize what 'details' meant. When I finally took the time to look the term up I decided to focus on non-details coins en route to a 'more pure' collection of coins.

I reasoned that there are just too many coins out there to choose from and I am usually not in that big of a rush to settle for only 2nd best in the short term etc.

Bottom line is that 'in general' higher grade (non-detailed) coins appreciate faster relatively speaking compared to their detailed counterparts etc. It is simply a better investment of my $s.

IMHO
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05