Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 1 Cent Doubled Die Obverse

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  03:40 am Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Edit: Changed the title to something more appropriate.

Sorry for so many posts, but I just found this one right now and I felt like I had to share it with you guys, I thought my last one was a pretty good doubled die but this one just made the other one look like nothing compared to this one...

If this is not a legitimate doubled die than I have no clue what is apparently.

They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Edited by JohnWayne007
12/29/2019 3:20 pm
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised no one has said anything about this one, I will be posting more pics here shortly, there is also some good doubling in "Elizabeth II" I will be showing soon.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7780 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That's the one!
This is the known doubled die, if you search this forum you'll find it has been posted at least a couple of times.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
2691 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That has to be it! Very nice find!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
520 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's an image of a 1974 double die 10ct. It shows the E in Regina identical to your pic of your E on the penny. When I look for these double dies the first place I look is the base of the E and look for the fork. Its a given if its there.
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for the replies! I knew I wasnt just seeing things lol thanks for the confirmation! I have a question though, I'm doing up some pics right now and I noticed the legend isn't the only thing doubled, the entire queens crown is doubled and so is her face chin and some of her neck. Are all the 1967 doubled die obverse that have been found like this as well?

Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I had some free time today and decided to document this coin the best I could and figured I should share it with you guys, I could be wrong about some things and they could be Machine Doubling but since most of this is a real doubled die obverse I just assumed some parts were probably doubled as well.

Let me know what you guys think and thank you for the replies.

If you click on the photo to enlarge it they scale up pretty well and show details a lot better.

Edited by JohnWayne007
12/29/2019 3:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I never understood if truly a doubled die why isn't the underlying legend offset equally all the way around, like say the 55 Lincoln double die (though much more dramatic)
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im curious about that as well, I noticed some of the doubling was very obvious and than in some spots not so much and could be over looked as MD.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2751 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You all have to learn the differences between hub-doubling, mechanical/machine doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, and actual doubling. Any time you take a microscope and go up to 40-50X to inspect ANY mechanically produced item, you are going to see some anomalies .. most of which are well within tolerance. It doesn't make them a variety or an error.
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner, most of what is seen on this coin can easily be seen with a loupe, my pictures with the microscope up close are only used to get a good clean photo of areas in question. To my understanding US coin doubling and Canadian coin Doubling are determined differently, that is not my personal opinion, that is just what I have been told and came to realize just recently. Maybe SPP-Ottawa will chime in eventually as he was one of the original posters regarding the 1967 doubled die and I'm pretty sure he wrote about it at one point. I am simply here to learn and I'm just going by what I am reading from this forum and what others have told me.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All these doubled die examples must exhibit the same features if it's a doubled die. My problem is the features on some of the underlying legend pushes further out than other parts.
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alan, I could be wrong but I think the features on the underlying legend are all pushed out the same distance, the only reason it looks like some parts are pushed out further than others is because these parts are the "thinnest" of the legend. If you notice on the obverse of the normal coin shown on the right of my pictures all the lettering is super thin, but the ones on the left that are doubled and look really thick, so I think it could pass as maybe an illusion thinking they are spread out differently on some devices when in reality they are all equally spread just showing more intensely on the thinner letters. Again I could totally be wrong an there could be a more logical explanation, but that is just my theory.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
781 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with okiecoiner. You have to remember that hub doubling is part of the die when it was created and Machine Doubling happens during the strike. eg. die bounce ,die shift. It is possible to have hub doubling and Machine Doubling and Die Deterioration on the same coin. Sometimes really high magnification is not your friend, If I have to go over 10 x to see it I don't want it. I'm not an expert but my humble opinion
Edited by oldmike
12/30/2019 1:55 pm
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So to clarify you guys are saying that this coin is not a doubled die?

Yet it is identical to the one SPP-Ottawa writes about and claims is a doubled die a long with a lot of other people on here, you can see his post here with pictures http://goccf.com/t/302977 you will have to scroll down a bit but he shows the exact same doubling.. It is obvious this coin has some machine doubling/die deterioration but that doesn't always mean it is not a doubled die as well.

Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a screenshot of the one SPP-Ottawa wrote about and pasted mine beside it to compare the "E" and put it on top to show comparison, the arrows are just pointing to the E to show they are the same.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05