Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880-O Morgan Dollar. Nice Sample Imo.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 869Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  7:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Happy New Year to all!

Start the New Year off with decent Morgan. I found these are a tough find above MS63. Not that it will reach the holy grail grade above that, probably lower, but it is a keeper.

There are also nine potential VAMs for this specimen. I will have to research. Maybe a Morgan buff can pontificate if they see anything. Pictures marginal. Luster and brightness is very nice, but not very evident in pictures. Provided a couple to try and capture some luster/brightness. Need a better method. Anyway...enjoy.
Good start of the year IMO.

LUSTER/BRIGHTNESS PICS ATTEMPT. And a not so great toned Rim shot.

Edited by BuyGuns
01/01/2020 8:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2960 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your 6th photo, is the sweet spot, try to replicate those conditions..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5367 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very clean cheek.

Solid 64, maybe even 65!

Nice!

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will do silverwolf. That picture was a combo LED and Halogen light mix. Does bring out more detail.

Westernsky...that would be an exciting prospect to grade that high for this year/New Orleans sample. Per PGCS they had some issues that mint year for Morgan's, with heavy bag marks/scuffs and weak breast feathers on the Eagle, and weak overall.

But when I saw it for sale, I was almost thinking I'm missing something here, because for $74 I thought too good to be true. Even MS-62 is a nice buy at that price. Pictures were good, and it did look nice. Bottom line I took a chance thinking it may look a little better in hand. Well, when I received, I was floored how good it looked in hand. Yet...I have learned not to get too excited as grading can be an interesting animal, as many folks have noted, with no guarantees. More because of my lack of expertise on that complex profession and why particular grades are awarded regardless of my opinion.

But I have to agree with you. The potential is there, and if you folks think it is a good sample with those pictures, you should see it in your hands (fantastic eye appeal). So I will have it graded.

As a side note, I have been wanting to grade many coins and keep saying I am going to get it done since I started on CC, but always something to get in the way. Lol. Life. Folks here must think I'm senile. Haha. I mean there really is no rush, but if I say I am, I want to follow through and post results for all to bounce their comments/grade call, etc., against.

But I should be starting in earnest here shortly. A new year on deck. lol A few at a time. Fortunately, many questions I posted on CC have probably saved me some hard earned cash, of coins that I realize now, after much research and help here on CC, are not worth the effort. Still nice coins, and will fill a spot in my collection effort, but need to save the grading for worthy subjects. I have about 30 more coins on the way, and always looking. Love the hunt.

So, being still new at this, in retrospect, it is better I waited and gained a little more discriminating skills before I send a coin to be graded. I'm getting better at self analyzing, but will never 'reach it'. CC is here to fill that gap, and common sense research. . Amen. OK....I'm rambling again. Onward...
Edited by BuyGuns
01/01/2020 10:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's a nice one. if I had it in hand i'd be trying to determine the date positioning, size & positioning of the mm, is there a checkmark on the second 8, see any clashing or die cracks... etc...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MrPink...I will be looking at those and report back if I find anything. Start with VAMWorld.
Edited by BuyGuns
01/01/2020 11:06 pm
Valued Member
Canada
486 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example!
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I'd be hard pressed to say less than a 65. I'd add that to my collection in a heart beat.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55. . Another one I just don't get. Save a couple of 17 graded, this has not been good. Not even close. Meh. Won't lose sleep. Just a bad experience so far. Just about every coin graded low to way low IMO. How about a MS-62? Sigh...

Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmm I do see A little wear I think but still its AU-58 all day every day . Has the eye appeal of a MS-64 in my book
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49632 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, TrueView photos almost always look better than the grade assigned.
Edited by Coinfrog
07/03/2020 4:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5367 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a completely different coin than was originally pictured. Crazy!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 869Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05