Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Have I Got Here? What Happened To This US Quarter?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  10:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This came out of a Coinstar yesterday with a number of other coins, (the most other interesting being a Susan B. Anthony).

The eagle feels like a quarter.
It doesn't sound like a quarter.
I can catch my fingernail on that 'stripe'.
The reeding at the end of the 'stripe' is affected by that stripe.

Did this happen during minting?
Did someone do this intentionally after minting?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Collecting currency for over fifty years, and now doing it with my daughter.
Edited by GABatGH
01/02/2020 11:02 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32764 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a minting error.PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46337 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was deliberately ground down.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how... and why? The starburst pattern radiating from the center, and then that 'stripe', has really got me flummoxed.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you were there at the time, it is hard to say exactly what
happened but the fact there is no rim proves it is not an error
and was done after the coin was minted.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"the fact there is no rim"

I do not follow this idea, especially since the coin *does* have a reeded rim.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43345 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the displaced metal on the edge of the coin showing on the reeds on the edge of the coin. The rim is that area between the edge of the die and the collar with the reed design in them. Between the two, they form the design with the die, the reeds and circular edge on the coin and what is left over forms the rim on the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/02/2020 6:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example of PMD! I'd toss it into a 2x2--but that's just me.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot believe I've been calling the outside of a coin the "rim" all these years, when in fact it is the "edge". Moreso, I cannot believe nobody hasn't corrected me!

So there's no doubt that this begun as a normally minted quarter?

The more I fiddle with it, the odder it seems. It is not flat. It's concave on the eagle side, which is clearly visible when a straight edge(like a ruler) is held up against it. It was then I noticed that the edge isn't perpendicular to the face anymore.

Beside's the non-faced side being convex, there's a hump in it.

The whole thing is just weird, and I know we'll never get the full story behind it. That's part of the fun :D
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the damage has a possibility of having occurred after minting, then it cannot be considered a mint error. I can see how a normal coin could be damaged to end up looking like this, so it cannot be a minting error.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20402 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The more I fiddle with it, the odder it seems.

Tell me how this happened....

Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definitely PMD.

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not unusual at all. Someone had too much time on their hands and access to a grinder. The heat from grinding caused the cup shape of the coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05