Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Significance To These Morgan Dollars?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  09:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Desnuts to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I liquidate collections. I usually start by trying to pick up on collector's abbreviations, organization, nomenclature, etc.
In this collection, the collector was spot on his pricing. If he marked it $500, I sold it for that much or more, and he hasn't been around for over a decade.

So these are the last three coins in his collection. He has them in a wooden holder, so I knew they were special. They were also with a dozen other Morgan's in a safety deposit box. The other Morgan's were CCs and DDs ets.

The best I can come up with, is these are proof like. There is luster preventing full mirrors but I am thinking late or bad proofs. Very thin cartwheeling, and very sharp edges. Fields still reflect a good 6-8 inches, even with luster and toning. I am fairly new to collecting But hooked lol. Thanks for any input and opinions.
Edited by Desnuts
01/11/2020 09:51 am
Learn More...
United States
14772 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@desnuts, first welcome to CCF. Second, I've recommended to the mods that this thread be moved over to an area of CCF where folks who know about these things hang out. Not my area of expertise, but I wonder if these might be VAMs?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Desnuts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I'm not familiar with VAMs as well. Sold a few but that bout it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
537 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Desnuts-

nice old morgans, better close-up pix needed for determining anything beyond 'nice old morgans'. even if they are just 'normal dies', they'll likely have a VAM designation. however, there's always the chance you'll be holding a discovery coin for a new VAM designation.

VAMworld is recommended to assist you in determining what you're holding. start with the date & mintmark locations, their placement in relation to things (other devices) around them. near date? far date? see any obvious clashing? die cracks? doubling? stuff like that. looks like you have two S-minted and one O.

let us know what you discover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8367 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 Common date Morgans w/the 85S being a better date, with some toning that has progressed quite a bit, probably due to the underlaying felt or cloth and the sulfur content of the wood holder.
The reverse toning may not be that desirable. I worry that the coins have suffered environmental damage from the holder and atmosphere.

1880-O is very rarely found in PL so if it straight grades out as an PL Unc it would bring decent money. But from the pictures none of the coins show reflective contrast which is the basis for PL.

Depending on how well they look out of the holder, the other 2 might bring a premium, especially the 85S, but grading is not possible here from these pictures.

PS. Every Morgan is a VAM.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16242 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins have been "shuffled" between the photos, no way to tell which mintmark goes with which date. If the 85 is an S then it is a slightly better coin, but only in high grade and I don't think this one would make it. If it is the O then it s just an average coin. Frankly even though these are in a wood case I don't think they are "special" he probably just got them that way.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05