Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Went Wrong In The Making Of This Fake 1857 Canadian Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3029 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  4:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A dealer gave me this just for laughs. Obviously cast, and being in white metal it would not have passed in colonial times. I was wondering why the one side is so poor-was there not enough metal put in the mold, so that the cavity did not completely fill?

You can just barely make out the anchors and "Bank Token" "one penny"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1551 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
failed casting?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
774 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
failed casting?

that was my thought too...
Pillar of the Community
United States
9117 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another low life idiot exposed?
Member SSDC, TNA
Valued Member
Canada
119 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  12:24 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A dealer gave me this just for laughs. Obviously cast, and being in white metal it would not have passed in colonial times. I was wondering why the one side is so poor-was there not enough metal put in the mold, so that the cavity did not completely fill?

You can just barely make out the anchors and "Bank Token" "one penny"

@Oriole:
Do you give me permission to use your photos of this coin for my upcoming book on this series of tokens (Eventually if I need it)?
Edited by ainsivalavie
01/12/2020 12:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that the white metal got so hot that it released gas bubbles. Maybe they had the "dies" hinged with long handles and heated them with a blow torch.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2318 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lots can go wrong with casting,

loosely packed green sand (sand, coal, bentonite clay, water)
moisture content to high in the sand
zero moisture content in the sand
too small of a sprue (sprue cooled quickly and strangled the flow of hot metal)
metal full of impurities/slag

is this case I would guess the mold/coin orientation was lying flat and not standing vertical on edge

this list goes on and on.

personally I find it really cool & a definite keeper
Edited by Wade
01/12/2020 7:39 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05