Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Auction Pics For Double Eagle, Damaged?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  3:27 pm Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is from an upcoming local auction. Weather looks to be bad so I don't want to drive an hour unless it's worth it. Reverse looks great, but the obverse has a weird circle on it. I can't tell for sure if it's on the coin or on the plastic. And if it's on the coin, what would cause a perfect circle. Equidistant from the rim all the way around. Runs right over the 8 on the date. Another coin maybe? But there would have to be a lot of weight or pressure put on that other coin. So I figured I'd ask on here. Sorry I can't put up a better pic. But that's all the auctioneer had on their site.

I know it a common date. So there's not much value above gold price. But still, If I'm going to buy one, I'd rather have an undamaged one. Unless of course the damage causes it to sell under melt.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4922 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is it was removed from a bezel. Gold is very soft and a bezel can kill a nice gold coin pretty quick.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense. Although the reverse dose not have any damage at all. But I suppose there could be bezels with a flat back. Also would explain why they had the info about the coin written on the side of the flip with the reverse showing. No sense putting the damaged side of the coin towards the front.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4922 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Auction companies know every trick in the book to try and deceive you.

Pillar of the Community
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing the circle on the 2x2 holder and not on the coin. If you look closely you can see doubling which looks like a shadow on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4922 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A dealer, or auction company, is always going to show you a raw coin with the best side seen first. Marketing 101.

Car dealers pull the same crap. I bought a new Camaro a few years ago. I pulled into the dealership to sign the paperwork and they had backed it in so I couldn't see the passenger side door. Being an old man that doubts everything a car dealer tells me, I pulled it out so I could see everything before doing the paperwork. Low and behold someone at the dealership had door dinged the right side passenger door. I was furious that they tried that stunt! The salesman and manager naturally played stupid and was shocked when I laid it all on them. It was a come home to Jesus moment!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3419 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely damaged.

Agree, this gold piece was more than likely removed from a bezel.

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody. Definitely saved me a trip.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05