Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do I Grade Light, Medium, Heavy, Hit And Miss DDO Pennies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  09:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lack of faith to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
They say every year has DDO pennies but some are heavy, light, medium and spotty. I would like to know how to grade these pennies so I would know what`s worthy for PCGS grading. What say you?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1437 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post some photos
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31994 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Please clarify your question,thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19072 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Chance of finding a newer dated DDO or DDR is very slim today.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LoF, is your question about how to categorize something as "strong" extra thickness vs "moderate" vs "light" or similar ambiguous descriptions? I sort of have the same question myself. From what I've been able to gather there are somewhat blurry boundaries between these categories and they don't correlate to exact measurable variances (although I could be wrong and just haven't come across that info yet). If you're asking about grading, that has to do with how much damage the coin has or has not taken regardless of the visual appearance of the variety on the coin. The grading forum may be a good place to post some photos if you want some opinions on the grade of a coin you have. http://goccf.com/f/25. If you're trying to identify if you have an error or variety, post photos here in this forum. Hope that helps for now and please feel free to ask more questions.
everything else
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Values are a factor of more than just severity of the doubling. There's also scarcity, demand, and condition. Some doubling can be worth more if it's on a denomination or year that's particularly collectible (e.g. 1976 D bicentennial quarter). Not every year has known doubled die varieties. I would post here before getting anything sent off for grading to confirm that what you have is in fact a doubled die error and not Machine Doubling or Die Deterioration Doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42314 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing to consider is value after they are graded. The high grade coins have a nice value to them, but some grades even as high as PR-69 would not be worth grading. So best to look to see what the value would be first before sending them in. PCGS shows the grades/values on the coinfacts section on there site. They don't show the cost of grading though. But if you figure they will cost about $50 to have graded, then compare examples to see if they would be worth submissions or not, that will be the first step.
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts
This is there home page.
1. To use this select the coins you want to know about.
2. Select the year/mint/denomination and open to see how they look at certain grades.
3. 1981-S Type one, click on link and open:
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...1-dcam/93467
4. See tag:

Quote:
PCGS PR70DCAM
View More Images

click on more images:
5. Note the first coin PR-70 Dcam

Quote:
CERT # 82655753

Click on that line:
6. That opens this page showing image/grade/their values
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/82655753

Quote:
PCGS Price GuideSM Value $3,400

So a coin like that would be worth grading. But click on lower images as the grade goes down and watch the values drop?
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/07885394
PR-69 D-cam Just one grade lower: $15. To have it graded could cost as much as $50. To get back $15 would not be worth having it graded. So the expression, "Look before you leap" (Or as I say it, "Look for the cactus first") then you will save your self a lot of grief. No use having a coin graded that will cost more than it is worth. Most collectors will not pay anything extra for a graded coin. So why do that?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05