Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ink Error Or Art Project?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  11:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Disagreeableness to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I received this bill in change about two years ago, obviously it's quite a curiosity no matter how it came to appear as it does. I gave it to my oldest, and apparently he's held on to it (not a family trait lol). Anyways he's headed off to college in May and is furiously saving/liquidating, so he brings this out last night and asks if I think it's worth anything, I believe it's worth at least 1usd! But seriously, I did a more detailed inspection, and for the life of me, the pattern of the ink across the back is really very odd. There are a couple of spots on the front as well, but so far as I can tell, they're not the result of bleed through, they're not mimicked on the back. So because internet forums are the most congenial places on the net, I thought I'd submit this to the gents and ladies here for opinions. I can upload more photos if there's anything I've missed. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Disagreeableness
01/16/2020 11:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2326 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a paper guy, or even US for that matter, but it is interesting and I hope it's legit !

Bedrock of the Community
United States
31994 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks cool, but I do not see that happening at the BEP. I will wait for the pros to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Disagreeableness to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcomes, I feel kinda bad for popping in for help lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44866 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Art project for sure.

to the CCF!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Disagreeableness to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is your judgement based on the severity, or some other factor?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything interesting, weird, artful and colorful on the back of the OP's note was added AFTER it left the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Any other thoughts would be pure speculation and more importantly, unexplainable. With that being said, it's really kinda cool, almost psychedelic.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10248 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It reminds me of marbled paper. Creating marbled paper involves pouring ink into water, swirling it around to make neat patterns, then laying a sheet of paper on top of the water. Design transfers to the paper. It's popular in bookbinding for end papers (the paper on the inside of the covers). Like this:

Edited by CelticKnot
01/16/2020 5:44 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05