Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here We Go Again. 2020 W Quarters Coming.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 95 / Views: 9,320Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  8:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
3049 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see why people get worked up over these. A lot of people enjoy searching for these in change, it can be fun.

If you don't like them, don't collect them? If you don't collect them, I don't see how another year of the program affects you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3613 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great more income for bank employees
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5629 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah...just saw it in today's Coin World.

Only variation is they will also come with a privy mark in front of Washington's face....something like a "75" to mark the end of WW2.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't see why people get worked up over these. A lot of people enjoy searching for these in change, it can be fun.

If you don't like them, don't collect them? If you don't collect them, I don't see how another year of the program affects you.

Among other series, I've been collecting Washington quarters for decades. Each year I buy the proofs, uncirculateds, etc. from the mint. Most come in proof sets or mint sets, but sometimes they are offered by the mint in other products. All look great because they are in mint condition. Now that the mint has released the -W quarters and only way to get them is to pull them from circulation, I'll end up with quarters in my collection that are in a condition far below the others. Of course that assumes that I'll ever find them. I have yet to find the first. In fact, I put up a bounty at my work. We have about 160 employees. Nobody has found one. Ultimately, any -W quarter in half way decent condition is going to be graded by a 3rd party grading service. That of course jacks the price way up. So the bottom line is that it's no fun when you can't find them and when/if you do the condition is far below that of all the others that you've already purchased from the mint. Meanwhile, bank tellers are cashing in which I'm guessing wasn't the point of releasing them in to circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ultimately, any -W quarter in half way decent condition is going to be graded by a 3rd party grading service.

There are hundreds of non-graded 2019 W-quarters available on eBay. Maybe not for the price you're willing to pay, but there must be some here that you might want to have in your collection: https://www.ebay.com/sch/11962/i.ht...GS%2C+NGC%29
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2564 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did I miss something? I thought they were nickels
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You missed this: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...h-privy-mark

I don't know why we keep discussing articles on Coin World without linking them. This isn't the first time.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2564 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Alpha. I guess I did miss that
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craftworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this news!
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the idea, have been hoping to start seeing some privy stuff for years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I knew there was sure to be quite a lot of backlash carrying over from last year, that really wasn't where this was going. I have yet to find any of the 2019's in circulation, and although disappointed to some extent, at least I see a positive created by the mint. In the past year I've received more mint state pre-statehoods since the years they were issued. Enough to make rolls of them. Enough that it has been my belief this was more of a designed release by the Treasury to empty their vaults of all those unneeded coins. While no where near the average price of the West Point issues these are still valued above face in the market place. As for the topic, these will remain in mint state for many years and slowly drop in price a bit. By how much is anyone's guess.

Finally, I agree with you Tanman. Happy hunting!
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Ima giving up on US coinage. While I think it's nice having these West Point quarters I just don't dig how they're being released. If you want them you either find them in change or pay a hefty premium for them on the secondary market. I loathe the edge letterig dollar coins, the multi design per year quarters, the Jefferson portrait on the nickel is hideous, and I not really fond of the shield cents or cents in general. Those have well outlived their usefulness.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My hunt continues. Its good news to me. Thanks for posting.
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be nice to have these in mint sets, but no worry for me since the albums do not include them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand why the mint wouldn't just include them in a separate set that they charge an appropriate amount for and put them in circulation as well. This would satisfy their goal of generating interest and satisfy the collectors that want premium condition uncirculated coins.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 95 / Views: 9,320Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05