Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1873 Liberty Seated Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7457 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$199. What looks like a mark at 11:30 in the obverse rim is actually a small piece of cardboard debris from the flip. Couple of rim dings at 9-10 o'clock in the obverse rim. Seller said it was VG with no rim nicks. White nick in liberty's thigh appears to be in the plastic flip window. Coin is dark and it is hard to see the surfaces clearly but has a return privilege, so no biggie. Thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by numismatic student
01/19/2020 12:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12 Maybe F-15. Rim Damage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46220 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say F-12 overall. Bit on the dark side,
Edited by Coinfrog
01/19/2020 12:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6694 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F Details, I'm willing to bet it's cleaned
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8389 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not sure if it was cleaned. if so it was a while back and may be acceptable. the thing that is bothering me is the color. if the color is true (greenish hue) could be from improper storage and may details the coin if it cannot be removed successfully. I think it makes F12 with a possible details designation
Pillar of the Community
United States
7457 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This came in. I was concerned given the pictures but I guess I didn't need to be. Looks original and problem free to me. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
8389 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definitely looks better in these shots. I think she was cleaned. for a coin in this grade or circulation the lettering and star crevices are too clean. you also have star hallowing. she may grade straight as it looks like a coin that would have been cleaned decades back
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46220 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG details (cleaned). Judging from the picture comparisons, the cleaning has taken place SINCE the original photo. Note all the dark areas around IGWT and below the left (facing) wing are now removed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 with an older cleaning. It will most likely straight grade now. Decent price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3464 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those original pictures were terrible based on the ones you took.

I think it was lightly cleaned in the past as a lot of these have been but looks to be around F-15 to me. For $199, it's a nice looking coin for what can be a very expensive proposition as you move up in grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1414 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F detailed reverse cleaned

Obverse may be market acceptable by today's standards, but the reverse would detail the coin imo
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to have had an old cleaning, but it most likely will straight grade at F12 or F15. The coin is worthy of sending in for grading. I like the coin. Nice pick up.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12 very likely to come back with a straight grade, although cleaned a very long time ago
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05