Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ideas For Collections

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wanted to throw this out there and see what thoughts people might have .....

The other week, I was watching (on NNP) a presentation from the FUN Summer Show a few years back. The speaker was presenting some ideas for collections that he thought might be interesting, affordable (for the most part), and wouldn't take years and years to complete. For example, two of his ideas were Braided Hair Half-Cents (8 coins if you just collect the years - not the varieties) and Walking Liberty half proofs (7 coins).

This got me thinking about what I would call "sub-collections" that I could do. Which is why I started my Ike proof collection. Its only 11 coins instead of the full Ike collection, the cost is very reasonable, and I should be able to knock it out in less than a year (I've already got 6 of 11).

Anyway, I would be interest in hearing about "sub-collection" ideas that you have or that you have done.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2991 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WWII unusual alloy issues: 3 Lincolns, 11 Jeffersons.

I haven't checked, but probably you can get them all in AU or better (raw) for well under $150?

Probably better for a novice collector.

Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2020 1:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One from every year, going back as your wallet will allow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8484 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CitationSquirrel wrote in post 1

Quote:
Which is why I started my Ike proof collection. Its only 11 coins instead of the full Ike collection.

I also did not complete a set of Ikes.
I have 10 different Ikes in my Ike type set. Added a 1990 proof & unc comemmorative to finish it off but I don't know what your 11th might be? Maybe my set lacks both P & D regular clad to make 11?

I also bought two Capital Plastics Holders that I made a smaller 6 coin set that also covers them in an even more basic way.
1972 Ike Types

1976 Bicentennial Types

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
01/21/2020 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1220 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some subtypes are

1930-end for Mercury dimes most are reasonable in AU/MS
Peace dollars are also reasonable
ASE, most are $2-$5 over spot.
War Years Walking Liberty
20th century type set. Most expensive is the Barber 50 cent.
50 State Quarters
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what your 11th might be?

71-silver
72-silver
73-clad
73-silver
74-clad
74-silver
76-clad type I
76-clad type II
76-silver
77-clad
78-clad
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8484 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect State Quarters and such to make complete sets but I did make a silver proof collection of various Silver Proof State and ATB Quarters and made an 8 coin wild animal subset. Maybe there have been some recent issues I can add. Haven't thought about it lately.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
01/21/2020 1:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8484 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I see, You made a year set, where I made types of proof, clad and silver with a couple different reverse lettering.
It's all good, there's no rules for these.
As for my 12 Ike set up there, I can see where I missed a P
Ike that is not a Bicentennial.
I could add a 1971 Philly. I'm sure I have a better one than this.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
01/21/2020 2:10 pm
Learn More...
United States
82670 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh I see, You made a year set
His is more that just years, it is all of the proof Ikes, both silver and clad (1973, 1974, and 1976 had both).

The other 21 coins in the traditional 32 coin set are business/uncirculated strike in silver or clad.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8484 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I get it now jbuckster. Thanks.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great ideas so far everyone. I'm hoping these ideas may sour others on to coming up with their own unique ideas.
Learn More...
United States
82670 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh I get it now jbuckster. Thanks.
You are welcome!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of subtype sets I do are:

First and last year sets - ex. 1913 Buffalo and 1938 Buffalo (all MM or just years)
Overlapping year sets - ex. 1921 Morgan and 1921 Peace or 1938 Buffalo and 1938 Jefferson

I have a few other sub-sets in addition to the 2 above I do that allow me to keep from feeling in a rut and stuck while waiting for an acceptable example to be found for purchase in my larger sets.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Edited by scopru
01/21/2020 4:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6487 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some cheaper modern "short sets". Pres $1 President Set, SBA $1, stuff like that.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7582 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Subcollections that I am currently working on:

- US type -- augmented 7070 -- (maybe called OFET?)
- OFEC/OFEI (One from each Country/Issuer) -- Numista based
- OFEY (One From Each Year) -- 2020 back to 1498
- OFEC (One from Each Century) -- 21st back through 7th century BC
- OFEG (One for Every Gimmick) -- Unusual coins -- colorized, curved, odd material, holes, etc.
- Selected modern silver crowns, etc.
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I would like to do is pick a year and try to get every coin from the British Empire - or maybe just every penny or every shilling equivalent. Something like that. IT would be interesting. IF it was 1909 (I just like the way 1909 looks!) then every coin would have a very similar/identical portrait of Edward VII on the obverse and something that is country-specific on the reverse. Think of it: Canada, Newfoundland, Ireland, Uganda, India, Hong Kong, Ceylon erc...erc...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05