Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery World Coins - Can You Identify, Any Valuable?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
Long time lurker here. I came across several world coins and curious if any are worth anything. Some I can obviously tell come from Canada, Mexico, Germany, etc. but there are others I have no idea. I was hoping someone here can point out anything valuable. I assume it is all junk. Thanks all.

Picture 1 Front and Back

Picture 2 Front and Back

Picture 3 Front and Back

Picture 4 Front and Back

Picture 5 Front and Back

Picture 6 Front and Back

Picture 7 Front and Back

Picture 8 Front and Back
Edited by Eagle4Life
01/25/2020 4:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1414 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should post one coin at a time. And ask your questions
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is that? This is more efficient. I am not looking for background on each coin, only for the experts here to skim the pictures and point out anything that might be worth something.
Edited by Eagle4Life
01/25/2020 4:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
14776 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is that?

Posting one coin at a time helps us give the attention each coin deserves. Otherwise, you are likely to get answers like:

1. These are all common 20th Century coins
2. Try looking on numista.com first

You have a few silver coins, which are worth at least melt value. The zinc one may have a premium too. Many, like the toonie can still be spent.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
627 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately your coins are not worth much. The top one, 2 dollars of Canada, is still in circulation (like most of the Canadian coins you show). There are 2 silver coins: a British 6 pence of queen Victoria and a Canadian 10 cents of George VI. Those are too worn to have more value than bullion.

The value of most of these coins is mostly historic: they show effigies of queen Victora, king George VI, king Paul of Greece, queen Elizabeth II, queen Juliana of the Netherlands, the initials of king Leopold III of Belgium... That coin in zinc has been used during the German occupation of Belgium, when the Germans changed the nickel-brass of the former series to zinc due to the intrest they had in nickel and copper. So every coin, valuable or not, tells a story of its own. It's up to you to unravel those stories.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1741 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a silver Victoria Shilling in there, a silver Canadian dime, and a $2 Canada coin (~$1.40 exchange). The rest are poundage type coins
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3152 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this example, it is easy for me to tell that except for the silver ones, which are in such a low grade to be worth only melt value (about $3.00 and current prices), all of them would be found in bargain boxes, but if you can get to Canada that $2 coin can be spent. I do not think that the zinc coin has a premium.

Normally yes, post one or two at a time, but in this case I think that it was OK.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. This is helpful! I might just throw the lot on ebay starting at a dollar and see what happens.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2963 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Glad you came out from the shadows and posted!

As a world coin collector, none of these are "junk." Every coin presents an opportunity to learn about other countries' currency, history, and so on.

I agree these are like coins I see in my local coin shop's foreign 5-for-a-buck bin. Every time I swing by, I find some new things to learn about.

Maybe that zinc WWII Belgian issue, might start you off on a sub-collection of wartime issues. I've found French and Italian WWII issues, and some 1930s German coins in the bin at my local coin store.
Edited by tdziemia
01/25/2020 11:06 pm
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05