Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Milk Spots On Graded Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 973Next Topic  

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  6:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coin searching to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I am new to coin collecting and to this community. I bought a few graded silver coins with milk spots on them. From my online search, they are unavoidable and the spots can develop over time and after they were graded. Are the grades meaningless after the coins inside the slabs develop the spots or do they still hold the same grades?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
8091 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The grade on the coin is still most likely accurate, but milk spots hurt the eye appeal of the coin and will trade at a discount to what the price guides say. Can we see some pics of the coin in question?
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15769 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19352 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Milk spots make the value drop.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Great question. While photos would aid in a more accurate response, what you've described is somewhat common. To explain this, assuming you are referencing modern coins from around the 60s and 70s, mint set coins from this time period developed those spots due to poor mint issued packaging. As stated, the condition most likely did not exist prior to grading. However, they will still assign a grade if it exists only perhaps lowering it from one otherwise in pristine condition. I had a 1964 Kennedy half with those same blotchy white patches in NGC PF64 which I sold for an upgrade.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I sent 20 coins out for grading last February and when they came back, 4 had the white patchy "milk spots" inside the slab. I assumed it was due to the fact that my coin shipment probably came from sunny warm California and likely froze in the mail as it was 20 degrees here in NJ. I have a batch of 8 coins going out to PCGS but I'm waiting for non-freezing temps. The temperature change reason I'm giving is just a guess by me on how that happened.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To explain this, assuming you are referencing modern coins from around the 60s and 70s, mint set coins from this time period developed those spots due to poor mint issued packaging.

Packaging has nothing to do with milk spots and they've been a problem them entire time but are actually a more modern problem than the 60/70s. Packing haze can be removed milk spots cannot. Milk spots are a result of something in the manufacture process and are believed to be a result of what happens during the rinsing process
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin searching to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a pic of the milk spots. Not to big, they are there.
CCF Advertiser
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This happens all the time to modern coins especially silver eagles. If you youtube taking away milk spots on silver eagle you will find a variety of option which mostly include dipping, which should get the job done right
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you youtube taking away milk spots on silver eagle you will find a variety of option which mostly include dipping, which should get the job done right

I've never tried this, so can't personally say whether any YouTube methods work or not, but here's what NGC has to say about milk spots

Quote:
Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS), an independent affiliate of NGC, has conducted extensive research but has been unable to determine a conservation technique that can prevent or remove white spots without damaging the coin. In some cases white spots can be minimized, but they cannot be removed.

If you try any YouTube methods yourself, I believe it's always wise to first try on a low value coin, just in case the technique doesn't give the results you hope for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1025 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my understanding is some coins have a bit of residue left over from the rinse process, and that residue is hammered into the coin at high pressure with the strike of the coin.

You won't see it immediately because it's been mashed into the metal, but the area will turn to white in time, sometime quick sometimes slow, but the problem is there and because is smashed into the coin, it can't be removed without damaging the coin. like it says you can lighten it's visibility, you can make it disappear for a while mostly, but it's going to come back. unless you remove the affected metal which will damage the coin.

personally, I try to avoid buying silver eagles unless it's near spot price for silver and reasonable, for this reason. You are gambling on the milk spot developing, andf best not to overpay for it, you can always send it for grading yourself if it stands the test of time.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2020  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheInfinityPoint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I've read a lot of milk spots on the coin would affect the grade if you submitted them like that for grading. Unfortunately if you were to resell it it most likely wouldn't fetch the same price as an equivalent PF70. Apparently even the US Mint and NCS (the experts in coin conservation) do not know what causes it or how to remove them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 973Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05