Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Various Half Dollars...are Any Worth Further Investigation/Grading?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 813Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  12:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hydropsyche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

This past fall I found an 1857 Canadian Half Cent token while doing some yard work and that sparked a bit of interest in the history and stories tied to older coins like that...I then started looking into coinage from eras that I am otherwise historically interested in...this, in turn, reminded me of a variety of coins I inherited a couple years back.

Most of these consist of Kennedy half dollars, along with some Franklins, and I'm curious as to which might be more collectible than others. After some research, I believe I have several Kennedys that are of the 90% silver variety, and would like to better understand what I have. Looking at the attached, are any worth further investigation? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Learn More...
United States
90183 Posts
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In that condition, the Franklins are worth the melt value of their silver content. They are a unique talking piece to show your friends though! Most people probably have never seen one before.

The Kennedys you posted are worth, at minimum, the melt value of their silver content. Some of them look to be in fairly good shape and will carry some collector value on top of that. Worth hanging on to for sure!

Also please note while the bicentennials look neat they are extremely common and only worth face value.

Edited by CoinsInVT
02/11/2020 1:39 pm
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hydropsyche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks VT...the ones I feel are in good shape are the two 64's bookending the bottom row, and the '65 and '69 in the second column from the right. Are those the same you had in mind, and what is the difference between their melt value, and the added value of the condition? Or is that somewhat subjective? Pardon the million questions, I'm genuinely interested in understanding all this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard hydropsyche! Keep asking questions and keep researching. There is so much to learn.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50568 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinsinVT says it well.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35595 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. 1965 through 1970 are 40% silver.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17304 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of them have sufficient potential value to justify grading and shipping fees.

By your own preliminary grading, need to be in MS++ condition to even be considered for submission.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3503 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 65' looks very nice and the 76' might have a nice big die crack on it...don't clean any of them and handle them by the rims. Pending on what the reverse of the 65 looks like, I would keep it safe
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3646 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS would buy and sell them as bullion, even the better ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Oriole my LCS would buy and sell as bullion, Kennedy don't generally sell for much more than melt even in high MS grade. Most Franklins are sold as bullion also. One of the customers was able to complete a set from the "junk" pile of Franklins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9412 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Most of your Kennedys are 40% silver. Only the 1964 pieces are 90% silver.The Bicentennial Kennedy might be 40% silver or a standard "clad base metal coin.

The Franks are 90% of course and all appear to be bullion coins.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19590 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Kind of ignore all the negative replies. This coin stuff is a hobby and the constant replies to values are just that, stuff. As to your coins, I suggest you look into purchasing a book called the Red Book by Whitman Publishing. Also, look into purchasing an Album for those coins. Not a Folder, an Album. Remember not to clean those coins. Cleaning coins is sort of a no no. Place your coins in an Album and start looking for more to complete that Album. This is a hobby and you should look at it as such. Don't worry about values and use this hobby for fun. Way to many people constantly say How much. It's a hobby. Not and investment.
just carl
Edited by just carl
02/11/2020 9:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 813Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05