Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

# 51 Of My Silver Dollars For Grading 1901 O Morgan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  5:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A 1901 O .... I must have graded it around 3 years ago, and I'm not sure what to think of this coin, so I took pictures under different conditions. Hope you all can help me with this grade.

So what do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44931 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-50, possibly cleaned at some point.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1632 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, previously cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8257 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 01(O) are for the most part average in strike. the reverse on this one is AVG- for strike. not sure if it was cleaned but so far everyone else thinks so. I think the eye appeal is about 5/10. that said I'm netting it to AU53
Pillar of the Community
United States
7997 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
Lebanon
150 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'll be the caboose on this AU details train.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, you all know I'm posting my silver dollars for a few reasons, and one of reasons is that I'm trying to learn, to get better at judging and grading my own coins There seems to be a pretty strong consensus here that this coin has been cleaned, but nobody has explained why. Would some of you mind explaining to me exactly what you see that I apparently don't understand?
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add piercethegrimes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins can be cleaned a variety of ways but this one looks like someone wiped it. You can see the hairline scratches going in the same direction, especially on the obverse.
Edited by piercethegrimes
02/14/2020 4:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it looks like the fields were cleaned or wiped, but the cleaning agent didn't get into the protected areas along the devices as much.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19107 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 details, cleaned
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05