Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buying Imperial Coins Online

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howard38 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm both new to the forum and new to collecting. I'd like to know which of the online sellers are reputable as well as affordable. I am only familiar with Vcoin and Ebay. Also, will sellers typically give a discount if I order several coins at once? thank you!

Howard
Learn More...
United States
22826 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

For the time being you should stick to Vcoins and Forum until you learn how to spot fakes. There are a lot of fake sellers on ebay.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
164 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Good advice, as I've picked up a couple of fakes on eBay recently.

Jim
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howard38 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice! I did buy one coin on Ebay but it was from a seller who is also on Vcoins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3163 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@howard38, concerning discounts, I think that it would be safe to make an offer and see what kind of response you get.
Learn More...
United States
14862 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@howard, first welcome to CCF. Second, if you give us a little more idea of what your area of interest is, we might be able to point you in some good directions.

Added: ah, from the title of your thread, now I'm thinking Imperial Rome.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
02/13/2020 9:32 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howard38 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Oriole. It can't hurt to ask.

That's a reasonable question, Spence, as even Imperial Roman can be a bit broad. Specifically I am collecting coins of the Emperors from Augustus through Romulus Augustus. I prefer silver but will buy bronze coins if they are particularly sharp and/or have a nice patina. I'm more concerned with the image of the emperor than whatever is on the reverse so I'm always looking for good deals on coins with damaged backs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be very cautious buying denarii on eBay. There are many fakes, mostly produced in eastern Europe. Stick with known dealers who offer a lifetime guarantee of authenticity. Be cautious also of denarii in bulk lots, even from reputable auction houses. Such lots are not vetted as carefully as single-coin lots and all too often contain a small percentage of fakes. Bulk lots are typically sold "as is".
Edited by Kushanshah
02/14/2020 02:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3088 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  07:09 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some emperors are common in silver (thus affordable) and some are not
Some are common in bronze and near impossible to afford in silver
Caligula and Claudius are very difficult to get portrait coins in silver for under $500-1000
Likewise the Severans produced silver coin like pennies
The bronze is tougher
A few hundred for quality stuff
My advice is to not be too rigid
Patience is the key
Unless you have a fat wallet !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howard38 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, guys. I've always been leery of buying from eastern European sellers even before I started collecting coins.

I noticed that there are a lot of affordable Severans out there And I already bought a couple nice ones. I have patience if not a fat wallet : )

Pillar of the Community
United States
3088 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you bought some .......
You simply must post them !
I'm afraid it's expected
(not really)
But we shall be entertained by it

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
82608 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05