Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

86 ASE Struck Through Mark?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 920Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:21 pm Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seller claims this is a struck through mark. When I first saw it I assumed PMD. But I am not very good with errors. What do you guys think? And does it help or hurt the value?
Learn More...
United States
17696 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@lk, is it the linear mark below the F or the double-arc above the M that you are talking about?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double arc above the M. I think the other one is just lint on the case.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, just realized I had '86 in the title. It's actually a '96. Not that it should make a difference on what type of mark it is.
Learn More...
United States
17696 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok good to know. Here is a close-up of the region of interest.

I'm not 100% sure, but my best guess is that it looks more like a little damage than a strike-through. Let's see what the others think.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47302 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably more of a contact issue on the rim. There is also a faint showing of a collar clash.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But does that add to the value? If I buy it, is it worth getting attributed?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not in my mind
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47302 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have a hard time spending $50 to slab a coin worth 25 cents. The coin would have to be worth a lot in order for me to slab one. ($100-$200 range)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Learn More...
United States
17696 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, just to be clear, the OP's coin is a silver American Eagle not a quarter. I agree not worth slabbing, but it is worth more than 25˘.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update, ANACS gave it a 69, which makes it worth more than I paid. But did not attribute the error. Emailed them, reminding them that they are supposed to be good at errors and varieties. They said with their guarantee I am always welcome to send it back for another look. Had to send another coin back because it was rotated in their slab. (they graded two coins for free to make up for that) But it also gave me a chance to send this SAE back

I printed off the email and highlighted the area where I talked about them being good with errors. This time it came back Struck Through Debris. Not sure if it adds a lot of value. Probably to the right collector. But at least if I go to sell it (or my kid does after I'm gone) buyers will know this was something done at the mint. Not PMD that the grader just missed.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have a hard time spending $50 to slab a coin worth 25 cents. The coin would have to be worth a lot in order for me to slab one. ($100-$200 range)

Since I got it graded as part of one of ANACS's specials, and I was already getting 10 other coins graded, this one only cost me $10.

Key date SAE. I spent $42 on ebay, $52 with grading. Numismedia has an MS 69 at $120. Plus any additional an error collector might pay. I think I did ok.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47302 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will find out sore sure when you sell it. I pay nothing extra for a slabbed coin. Just the current book value for the grade.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A TPGs opinion broadens my market. I can't tell the difference between a 67, 68 or 69 from pics on the internet. Yet prices on this coin rise $80 from 67 to 69. The average SAE buyer prob can't tell either. Maybe many experts on here can. But when listing a coin on ebay, or GC, I don't want only experts knowing it's a 69. I want the average buyer to know that too. So a TPG makes sense. Especially since I can't list a number grade on ebay without the coin being in an ANACS, NGC, PCGS or ICG slab.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4009 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unlike collectors for other coins, I think buyers of ASEs are looking/want perfect coins, so in my opinion, the mark whatever the cause, would decrease the value of the coin, not increase it.

For what it's worth, I think this is a post mint contact mark, not a strike through.
ça va bien aller
Learn More...
United States
17696 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@lance, thx for following up on this thread with more information. Good thing I don't work at a TPG.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 920Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05