Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 Quarter Error? Or Nothing At All?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  5:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Eclark3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in my change. Obverse is high luster on right side with a clear defining line almost down the center of the coin. Left side of obverse is lacking as high luster as right side. Odd toning almost greenish/brownish brass color on majority of reverse. Thought it was dirty so I ran it under some hot water and vigorously finger rubbed reverse with no effect. Not sure if it's a mint error or just a dirty quarter. I'm still new to collecting, thanks. :)

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin searching to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe half of the coin got cleaned?
Learn More...
United States
15421 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@eclark3, yes that line is quite distinct. It looks to me like the surface of only one half of the coin has toned, either because one side has been exposed to the environment or else one side was cleaned after the entire coin was toned, but either way this coin did not leave the mint looking this way.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eclark3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thanks. I thought maybe it could have been a lamination error. Have a great day
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5130 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone may have given it a quick dip in Cola.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eclark3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You never know I guess. I usually don't clean my coins at all. If I do it's with hot water and some finger rubbing. Cleaning usually devaluates.

Just for added measure I took the quarter and scrubbed it with some La's totally awesome and a tooth brush. Nothing came off. Didn't change the two tome sheen or clear up the copper color on the reverse... Could be toning...but I the trying toning remover (vinegar+salt)...no change. Looks the same as it did when I first got it. I guess it's a mystery
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05