Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 8,962Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here and there on CCF I have posted coins that fit a collecting theme of mine, which is coins with images of saints. It was pointed out recently that LOTS of CCF contributors have world coins that fit this theme, so this thread is meant to provide an opportunity to show them all in one place, organized by name of the issuing country/state/city.

So let's see them!
We'll start with place names beginning with the letters A to C, which I hope might bring out some Canadian coppers with Saint George, maybe a gold sovereign from Australia, and lots of German and Italian states (Bavarian madonnas? Bohemia? Ancona? Bologna?). All of these places, and more in the first three letters of the alphabet, minted coins that feature an image of a saint.

Here's a tentative timeline:
A to C Feb. 18 - 29
D to F March 1 - 7
G to I March 8 - 14
J to L March 15 - 21
M to O March 22 - 28
P to R March 29 - April 4
S to U April 5 - April 11
V to Z April 12 -

Each Sunday (memory permitting ) I will chime in and turn over to the next letters of the alphabet. If you're late to join, please feel free to add contributions for letters that we've passed, but try not to anticipate letters we've not yet reached.

I will start with this 1537 Braunschweig (Brunswick) Germany "Annegroschen", featuring the image of St. Anne on the reverse:

Edited by tdziemia
02/19/2020 06:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think on the "Post Your German Coins" thread, I have seen other members' later coins from Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg with an image of St. Andrew, who is the patron saint of the city of Braunschweig. Here is a 1/3 thaler ... hope to see some more!

Edited by tdziemia
02/20/2020 4:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdz, I'm super-excited that you are doing this thread. Just help me (and other folks), here is the list for A through C from the Saints-on-coins website put together by coingallery.de:

http://www.coingallery.de/Heilige/index.htm#A

Overview sorted by embossing status
Mint - saint / saint

Aachen - Charlemagne
Ancona - St. Quiriacus von Ancona
Andorra - St. Ermengol
Appenzell, Kanton - St. Gallus
Appenzell-Innerhoden - St. Mauritius
Aquileia - St. Hermachoras
Arezzo - St. Donatus von Arezzo
Augsburg - St. Afra / St. Ulrich
Alban, Stift zu Mainz - Sankt Alban
Atri (Abruzzo) - St. Nikolaus

Baden - Blessed Bernhard / St. Christophorus
Bamberg - Ks. Heinrich II. And St. Kunigunde
Bardi (Emilia) - St. Franz von Assisi
Basel, Bm. - St. Gervasius and St. Protasius
Batenburg, Hft. An der Meuse - St. Viktor
Beromünster, Stift (CH) - Archangel Michael
Bohemia - St. Wenceslaus
Bologna - St. Petronius
Bosnia - St. Gregor v. Nazianz and St. Pope Gregor I. dG
Braunschweig-Calenberg-Hannover - Andrew the Apostle
Braunschweig-Grubenhagen - Andrew the Apostle
Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel - Andrew the Apostle / Apostle Jakob d. Elderly
Breisach - St. Stephen the Arch Martyr
Bremen - St. Willehad (also Wilhadus)
Wroclaw - John the Baptist / St. Wenceslaus
Burgundy - Andrew the Apostle
Byzantium - Constantine the Younger Grosse / St. Theodor v. Amaseia

Cambrai - St. Maximilian von Theveste
Casale-Montferrat - St. Theodor von Amaseia
Chiemsee, Btm. - St. Sebastian
Chur - St. Lucius von Chur
Colmar - St. Martin von Tours
Correggio - St. Quirinus
Corvey - St. Vitus
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the support, and what I think was a lot of effort to assemble that list!

For anyone who has coins from these places, you might also find in the letters A through C:
Brabant: St. Michael, At. Andrew, St. Peter, St. Philip
Bremen also has St. Peter
Berne: St. Vincent
Canada: St. George

Edited by tdziemia
02/20/2020 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your collection includes German notgeld coins, you likely also have something to contribute!

Here is a notgeld coin from Bingen showing St. Martin of Tours. If you have a notgeld coin with a figure on it and you don't know who it might be, put it out here and we might be able to figure it out.

Edited by tdziemia
02/21/2020 5:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8795 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely idea for a thread.

Andorra - 2002 - 1 Centimi - Charlemagne (Carlemany)

Bavaria - 1753 - 1/2 Thaler - Madonna

Bavaria - 1773 - 20 Kreuzer - Madonna

Bavaria - 1783 - 20 Kreuzer - Madonna

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for joining in, @paralyse!

I was hoping to see some of those Bavarian madonnas. That first one looks like a toned beauty!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2193 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll toss one in as well.

Just a coin collector's token

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice madonna!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7030 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Antwerp issued gold florins with St Philip on them. I haven't got one though! They could also go under B for Belgium.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...CharlesV.jpg
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8660 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australia -- 1 sovereign, 1901:

(St. George)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that splendid Australian sovereign to get us a St George! I was hoping we'd see one.
And happy to see this thread picking up some steam.

Quote:
Antwerp issued gold florins with St Philip on them. I haven't got one though!

Well ... since you mentioned it @NumisRob ... I have this under B for Duchy of Brabant. Issued 1500-1506 under Duke Philip the Fair

Edited by tdziemia
02/22/2020 10:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty deep in this theme for the letters A-B-C, so I'll post another one today. I think we will see St. Peter many times over the next few weeks, especially when we hit some of the other German city-states, then Papal States, and finally Vatican City. Here is my earliest, this early 14th century gros from the Duchy of Brabant:

Edited by tdziemia
02/23/2020 05:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8660 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bank of Upper Canada -- 1 penny, 1857:

(St. George)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3487 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great! Certainly that 19th century British rendering of St. George is the most dramatic version in all of numismatics (as I recall, the engraver was an Italian who immigrated during the Napoleonic wars?).

Going a bit from the sublime to the ridiculous (in terms of visual appeal), here is a "two-fer," a Bohemian denar from the reign of Vladislav I (1120-25) featuring on the reverse Czech patron saints Adlabert (Bishop of Prague martyred in 997)and Wenceslas (Duke of Bohemia 922-935)

Edited by tdziemia
02/23/2020 2:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8660 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada -- 1 sovereign, 1918:

Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 8,962Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05