Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 D Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
New Zealand
294 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  08:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got a whole of 1917 dated dimes and this quarter in a huge colection of coins. The seller said these coins cames from US servicemen based in New Zealand in WW2.

I don't normally collect US coins - but thought these were quite stunning. I am thinking its at least VF ancd heading towards EF or better.

There were 50 silver coins including 1 dollar sized coin and 5 half dollar sized along with 4 or 5 ancients and about 500 other coins. for cost of NZ$100.

All feedback welcome and will upload some 1916/17 dimes later.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice EF-AU . Can't tell from photos if it's original .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper photos are needed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46024 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55 just based on these pics. Beautiful example.
Valued Member
New Zealand
294 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry photos were taken at night with a cellphone under artificial light.

I can assure this coin is not fake and has had provenance at least since WW2, I doubt the Chinese were faking coins that far back. The colour of it is more silvery, its the right weight and has the correct ring for silver.

Needless to say I was doubtful when I saw it initially - but now it pasts muster mainly as I usually only see very worn examples of this coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU detail for sure. I'm not so sure about authenticity. Might just be the photo but it looks like there are raised pimples of metal on LIBERTY's leg, chest, and face. Such defects are often found on cast counterfeits.
Sharper photos would be helpful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3719 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's beautiful. Nice buy for the lot.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
8033 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If its real, this coin will likely pay for the majority of the lot. However, clearer pics are needed to give a grade/authenticate.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
New Zealand
294 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, big thanks to everyone that responded and gave a grade.

But I am annoyed that some of you instantly assume its a fake. I don't have ebay or and do not trust any seller not in New Zealand.

This coins was bought off a woman living in the rural areas of New Zealand, who is very sincere and be very insulted if anyone insinuated that this coin her family have had since ww2 is a fake.

There are no raised pimples anyhwere and nothing suggests this coin is anything other than silver, it rings like a quarter and weights 6.22grams.

How about just accepting that someone outside America actually bought a coin that was not a fake for once.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46024 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of posters have just raised some relevant questions - no one is saying this is fake. C'mon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2558 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is a 1917 D type 1. If the coin did grade AU 55, it is about a $200 USA Dollars coin. The coin may have been cleaned that would decrease the value. When I first looked at the coin my counterfeit radar also went up, but it could be your photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3438 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU.

Would like pictures in natural sunlight though.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More photos of both sides of coin with some zoom shots . Also clearer pics . I'm leaning towards genuine .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
New Zealand
294 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best photos I could get - cellphone does not take good shots.

Still convinced its a fake?

Can't make any larger as the 300kb limit is too low. It seems this page adds 10% extra KBs to every shot.

That's its shadow too, its summer in New Zealand and was 31c (88f) when I took these shots.
Edited by Princetane
02/21/2020 8:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46024 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stay with AU-55, super example.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog is just upset the photos don't show her toes really clear.

Nice coin for sure, great find!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05